720p and hdcp

nod32

OSNN Addict
I'm going to be building a new computer soon, and assuming all the necessary parts are hdcp compliant would I be able to watch 720p video files? Or does it not even matter on pc?

The other thing is that my monitor only has a vga connection to hook up from the computer. Would 720p make a difference over regular resolutions? I think that answer to that is no, so could I hook the computer up the the monitor with a dvi->hd component cable?
Im a little confused about this.

Thanks,
matt

oh and heres a link to the monitor specs if I left out any needed info

just build a comp with whatever parts you want and then hook it up using the regular old RGB analog connection. set your desktop resolution to 1366x768 (the native resolution of that monitor) for the best picture and you'll be good.

as long as you have the right codecs installed and enough cpu power or a video card with hardware decoding, then you can play any kind of video file you like.

i have my pc hooked upi to a 37" tv using dvi to hdmi under that res - well 1360x768 :p

I have my PC running my monitor at 1920x1200 and my TV at 1920x1080 :)

mine would do 1900x1080 if i had all the proper connections, that and a better card

I watched a 720p video file on my computer hooked up to a 15 inch monitor via VGA @ 1024*768 and on my TV using DVI to HDMI @ 1920*1080 with no problems. besides the 15 inch monitor setup skipping because that computer was too slow.
The video was still clear and worked over both methods I tried.

just build a comp with whatever parts you want and then hook it up using the regular old RGB analog connection. set your desktop resolution to 1366x768 (the native resolution of that monitor) for the best picture and you'll be good.

as long as you have the right codecs installed and enough cpu power or a video card with hardware decoding, then you can play any kind of video file you like.

so component would be better than the vga hookup?

no. VGA and Component are both analogue connections. However your TV may support a higher resolution via Component rather than VGA.

so component would be better than the vga hookup?
i would use vga if your TV allows for the correct resolution. usually they do with just the "plug and play monitor" driver installed or you can try to find a specific one for the TV from Viewsonic's website. but if it only lets you pick standard resolutions like 800x600 or 1024x768 then you will have a picture that's out of aspect and not as sharp. in which case, component might be better.

VGA is still the superior connection as far as analog goes so try that first. you can hook up your current computer to it and play with it now if it will dictate what parts you end up buying..

thanks alot guys, ill let you know what happens when i get the new pc

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back