680i shows up as 570/590 chip set under vista?

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
so here i am seeting up my new pc after getting back from football last night at 2am, after having a little sleep, i download the drivers for the intel 680i chip set that is on my new mobo, and i was supprised to see on windows update that it wants to updat them with an nforce5 set of drivers for a different chipset.

Is it safe to let windows update them or should i just go with what i have installed from the nvidia site ?

edit: my board
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=397&model=1459&modelmenu=1

Last edited:
i'd say stay with the nvidia ones.... dont see why WU ones should be any better anyway

btw... ur chipset really appears as 5 series? weird :S

oh... mm.. i looked around and apparently, that happens :p

but well, keep the official ones just in case

the other ones may be in fact for the 570/590...

well as that link shows, the board is 680i, and on nvidia site i seleted 680 drivers which gave me the 15.08 drivers, i'll stick with the nvidia ones, could be they copy and pasted into the inf files but didnt change the version numbers :p

Quad pc is fast as feck :D

looks like it was vista being a tit, i got 15.08 drivers installed them but it was still using the vista drivers for the chipset, i told it to look at the nvidia folder and it has updated the files :) just hope its the right 15.08 drivers, as nvidia site kept pointing me to 750i drivers even though i was selecting vista 32 680i, could someone check and see if they can get them?

Ones i have are 41 meg (intl english) must have the right ones otherwise vista would have told me the driver isnt for the hardware, and even if you use the activex thing on nvidia site it sends me the us drivers and not the uk ones :(

edit: seems the only drivers should be 15.00 not 15.08 grrr, so was nvidia sending me to wrong place :(

I got nforce_winvista64_15.08_english.exe from the EVGA website..

i have nforce_680i_sli_winvista32_15.00_international_whql.exe - from nvidias uk site, suppose i could use the mobo drivers from asus, even though nvidias us site and uk site send me to the page for 750i 15.08 drivers even though i select 680i - strange

edit: its gettig worse - theres no drivers on asus site for my board :( - i might just install the 15.00 drivers and see if windows update has any newer ones :( got drivers for xp for everything, well they do have drivers but they are saying they are beta :(

edit2: seems the comp that built the pc likes to hide the drivers disc, so i rang em up and gave em what for and in the end we found the disc, instead of it being in with the pc they hid it under the kb box - feckers, so i will see what the disc will give me, although im going to do a fresh install of vista (just hope it will activate!!!) as the device manager is looking a bit strange atm

Last edited:
What board, what OS, What chipset :)

Edit: Oh and BTW nvidias drivers are unified :) One driver fits all.

well its sorted now - had to ring up the comp that built the pc as i couldnt find the drivers disc that come with the mobo, seems they like to hid the bugger, re-installed vista (32bit) noticed that vista found the sata as 550/570/590 (seems its a fall back chipset) whacked the drivers disc in there told it to update looking at the cd drive - it did update to newer drivers (wahay w00t) even though its still saying the old chipset info :p and best bit is windows update now longer tells me it hs updates for my chipset :)

What board, what OS, What chipset :)

Edit: Oh and BTW nvidias drivers are unified :) One driver fits all.

you like me dont read forums - see first post for board - i did include a link - and read my other posts as im sure i meantioned vista many times, along with the 680i chipset :D - i will give you a cookie though as you tried to help and i bet you have had a hard day at work :)

well if one site sends you to one version of the drivers and the uk sends you to another version - i will tend to fall back to the drivers that are on the disc, i wouldnt have minded but when you tell nvidia site you have 680i sli and it sends you to the 750i drivers page i tend to get a bit concerend

ok to make sure i am not losing the plot can someone please go to the nvidia site - uk and us, and click nforce 6 - 680 sli windows vista - 32bit

and see if it takes you to the 750i page - 15.08 drivers, and can anyone tell me if i would be safe using those drivers - uk site takes me to 15.00 , i can get to the xp pages fine

Takes me here.

Under Products supported it says:

nForce 750i SLI
nForce 680i SLI/680i LT SLI
nForce 680a SLI
nForce 650i SLI
nForce 590 SLI Intel

same here, im on about the uk drivers (UK English) - if you select UK from the list does it take you to a page with UK 15.08 for vista or the 750i page?

I can get on every other page apart from the one im need

i know where you work so if it all goes pete tong we'll have a little chat :p

edit: it didnt update the drivers then even though it said it did - i had to go to device manager and manually update them, must have had updated drivers there and for the chipset as vista did up date them, so will see how i get on :)

Last edited:
Just for reference, my motherboard is also an nForce 680i chipset, but my specific board is the Asus Striker Extreme. Checking out my specs under CPU-Z, however, it appears to recognize everything correctly as being 680i chipsets. I downloaded my drivers from the Nvidia website, not using Asus' drivers. Hope that is, at least, mildly helpful info.

asus has no drivers for my board - well they do but are beta - i d/l 15.08 and installed them - seems to be working ok

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back