6800 Gt

tommy

OSNN Member
With all the different companys making this card is there one that sticks out from the crowd or are they about the same but different bundles, i.e Gainward, Leadtek, Point of view and Msi to name a few.
Thanks for any replies in this matter :)

tommy

Honestly not mate, the only difference you might find are the default clocks are different.

The quality of customer support and the quality of manufacturing varies widely.

The only major variation in the design will be the cooling solution. How effective, how heavy and how noisy. Most vendors go with the "Nvidia reference design" and at most will mess with the heatsink and fan. Some may vary the card layout a little also. A few will use faster RAM chips for better reliability (and overclocking potential).

Check forums for people bitching about support or failed cards on any brand you are seriously looking at.

If you're going by what you get in bundles, I'd recommend MSI. Ordered my GT there and you would get 17 games with it. Memorable ones being XIII, Splinter Cell:pandora Tomorrow, Prince of persia 3D, URU (a myst game:prob not tempting for most. or anyone actually,) DX:Invisible War, IL2 Sturmovik, Commandos 3, Black Hawk Down, JOint Operations Typhoon rising amd Beach Life. The rest are less mainstream straegies like Praetorians. It also has a nifty fan speed slider (could be common...I just found it fun to play with) Also there's a oc prog right along with it.

with 2100+ xp, 512MB RAM and some crappy generic MB, I recieved 8000+ in 3D mark 03.

Anyway, there's a bit of info for you mate, a review sort of if that floats your boat.

eVGA. Great customer service, their own discussion forums, step up program, Far Cry bundled in the box.

XFX get good write ups too, bottom line: do any get bad writeups ? :)

there are a coupla minor annoyances like the stickers from the companies peeling off and being sucked into the fans and killed the cards.. (at least 3 people on nvnews who recently got nv40's had this happen so others have been removing their stickers)

generally other than that most of the cards follow the reference design so there should be no issues with QC...

yah its an odd issue...

mainly when the sellers are just slapping their own stickers on top of the nvidia one and selling it.. with the heat generated the bond breaks and they peel right off...

corse it depends how cheap the sticking jobbie was... :)

but if you have checked the sticker on the hsf and it seems fine... thats ace... other than that you really should have no problems...

the general fails for the high-end cards from both ati and nvidia @ the moment are centered around the fans...

Ahh ok, thought you might have meant the one on the fan
The POV card ahs the nvidia default.

yah i meant the sticker on the heatsink...

its not a big issue though... obviously since most haven't heard of it lol and is not card specific...

eVGA and BFG...I own an evga 6800GT and have nothing but good times with it except some stuttering in UT2004 but I don't think that the card is the problem

the other company I was going to go for is BFG tech because they come factory overclocked and have a true lifetime warranty and great customer support

Grier said:
If you're going by what you get in bundles, I'd recommend MSI. Ordered my GT there and you would get 17 games with it. Memorable ones being XIII, Splinter Cell:pandora Tomorrow, Prince of persia 3D, URU (a myst game:prob not tempting for most. or anyone actually,) DX:Invisible War, IL2 Sturmovik, Commandos 3, Black Hawk Down, JOint Operations Typhoon rising amd Beach Life. The rest are less mainstream straegies like Praetorians.
Whats its spec? 256mb of ram? how much? where from?
Me thinking of getting one :D

Well, HardOCP managed to get a 6800GT OC from BFG up to around Ultra speeds, so that card is nothing to sneeze at. Good luck finding one though. I haven't seen any in stock yet. I haven't looked that hard, but it does seem to be in fairly short supply.

newegg.com has the eVGA 6800 GT in stock today...but don't know how long it will last

One thing to consider is if you have a watercooled computer BFG has some cards with the watercooling already built in. Personally, I skipped on that and just bought a normal PNY 6800GT, once someone (Koolance) builds a watercooling block then I will just install it myself. I have a Koolance watercooled case, and the video card isnt connected to it right now.. They wanted $650.00 for a watercooled 6800 Ultra.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back