6800 GT or 6800

Tuffgong4

The Donger Need Food!!!!
Political Access
ok I am a gamer and am about to upgrade from my g4 ti 4200 to either the 6800 or 6800 GT...I'm trying to figure out if the extra 100 dollars is worth the extra performance...personally I'm leaning towards no but the extra 128MB of ram and that it's GDDR3 is a sticking point for me and the other 4 pixel pipelines(both for the GT version)...don't know if it's worth it so throw me your two cents...

well I still use agp don't think they are pci express yet

Tuffgong4 said:
ok I am a gamer and am about to upgrade from my g4 ti 4200 to either the 6800 or 6800 GT...I'm trying to figure out if the extra 100 dollars is worth the extra performance...personally I'm leaning towards no but the extra 128MB of ram and that it's GDDR3 is a sticking point for me and the other 4 pixel pipelines(both for the GT version)...don't know if it's worth it so throw me your two cents...

6800GT is the current card of choice for most... 16 pipes and gddr3 and excellent overall packages (generally single slot solutions)

can be oc'd to perform @ ultra levels in most cases (think back to gf4 ti4200 -> ti4600 oc's)

the 6800 is not quite such a decent deal... 12 pipes... and the performance is noticeably slower than the GT's...

considering the fact that the GT is about $100 cheaper than the Ultra you actually are getting a heck of a lot more bang for the buck than you would getting the non-ultra...

the extra quad is a big selling point :) and the BFG version comes with dual-dvi as well as being slightly overclocked...

well I'm probably going to go for the eVGA version whether it be GT or regular...can go 399.99 for the GT or 288.00 for the regular...I'm just having a hard time paying 112 dollars more for something that will be replaced in a year and half to 2 years

maybe the 112 isn't that big of a deal?

I DON'T KNOW...AHHHHHHH!!!! :mad:

Do the math...

$112 for 1.5 years is about 85 cents a day. Skip a pack of cookies or a cup of machine coffee every day or a Cheddar Potato Bake every 4 days and you funded your card upgrade.

Or

Skip the food and buy the cheaper card and in 1.5 years you can buy your new card.

I used to recommend option 2 but since I almost died from a burst intestine this spring I am now recomending option 1. Life can turn out to be surprisingly and suddenly short.

most likely gonna get the leadtek ultra, but getting to the point that I will buy any one I see in stock :)

the BFG GT OC is the better buy @ the moment and albatron's ultra is also pretty good :)

tuffgong.. think that with the 112 dollars more it really will translate into a value of around $200-250 :) when you oc it to ultra levels and beyond...

very nice...think I will go with the GT at some point soon...going to probably go with the evga GT cause it comes with Far Cry and i have read some good things about it and can get it for 399.99 from zipzoomfly.com...all the post were great...rep point for all and especially for LeeJend's comment subtracting food out of my day or a cheddar potato bake...hhahahahaha...gj!

well was about to order my evga 6800 gt but zipzoomfly is back ordered....eh well

Just ordered my ultra... £325 from a business contact.
Effectively VAT free.

ordered a few, will cancel any that aren't the first to arrive.
Am getting a hefty discount as well ;)

well my eVGA 6800GT is packed and on it's way...I hounded zipzoomfly.com for the past week and when it came back in stock I gobbled one up...also get far cry for free which is pretty cool

I saw it back in stock one day bought one and the next day out of stock again! so I guess I got lucky

Here we go:

Shopping Cart (Prices in British Pounds)
Point of View GeForce 6800 Ultra 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP) - Retail (GX-002-PV) 1
£349.95 £349.95
Shipping (Amtrak Saturday Delivery - UK Mainland) £24.50
VAT £65.53
Total £439.98

http://www.pointofview-online.com/products/6800gt.php
I paid a little more (well about £100) than via my business contacts in the interest of getting this card quickly (at the weekend too)

our Order has been packed, and is currently awaiting shipment in our warehouse.

Your Consignment number (for despatch tracking) is XXXXXXXXXXX and was shipped by Amtrak Courier.

Now I need Doom III, unless they ban it of course :s

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back