Specifications:
Chipset/Core Speed: nVIDIA GeForce 6800/325MHz
Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/700MHz
BUS: AGP 4X/8X
Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + TV-Out(S-Video) + DVI
Support 3D API: DirectX 9.0c, OpenGL 1.5
Cable/Accessories: Manual, DVI to VGA Adapter, 2 Cables
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@85Hz

Now it seems to me that that the 6600gt is a far far better card for far less money

The 6800 is $300
and the 6600gt ranges from $200-250

Am i missing something here? or is it just that the pci-express makes it cheaper?

Let me know what you think because the 6600Gt looks like a great buy and i may just get one.

depends what you are doing.

the 6600 has far lesss brute force than the 6800. Only reason to get 6800 series is if youare hardcore into gaming - otherwise the other chipse have better features at the expensive of that raw power

yeah, the fact that it's PCI-Express also causes the lower price. I guess ATI and NVidia are trying to move people over to PCI-E more and more. Too bad motherboard prices didn't drop drastically too. Would have helped the PCI-E push more.

the 6800 is a nice card for the money. Like they say, you get what you pay for. i'm using the 6800GT and just love it. uses GDDR3 like the 6600GT does, though it did cost quite a bit more.....

well i just bought the evga 6800, we'll see how it is and i'll let you know, all the reviews i've read online seem to suggest its the best 6800 you can buy.

Guess we'll also find out if my 350w psu can handle it as i don't want to buy another.

anyone want to just give me a 400w + psu :)

about giving you a PSU.... don't think anyone will give out a 400w, since most of them are still at LEAST $50. You probably want to get a beefier one though, since doesn't the 6800 have a minimum req. of 350w? i'd suggest the Ultra X-Connect PSU's. i have the 500w one, and i think Tittle does too. great power supply, though i think they still cost like $80 or something.... don't remember. haven't looked up the prices in a while. Greatest thing about it is that it's a modular power supply (i.e. no red/brown/black/yellow wires showing, all neatly shielded and covered) so it really makes your case look nice and tidy.

I've got the BFG 6800gt, and it rocks the socks... I can say no more. 8)

The constant update of drivers make it always exciting to see it kick more butt then ever.

:eek:

i WAS gonna get the BFG.... but when i got mine i couldn't find anywhere that had it in stock. still like my LeadTek though. quite nice.

Something cool will happen with nvidia drivers either privately or publically in March.
But alas I have said too much! (rel75 ahem)

Electronic Punk said:
Something cool will happen with nvidia drivers either privately or publically in March.
But alas I have said too much! (rel75 ahem)

You've got me interested now :( Damn you!

ElementalDragon said:
i WAS gonna get the BFG.... but when i got minei couldn't find anywhere that had it in stock. still like my LeadTekthough. quite nice.

I had issues finding the BFG gt too.. pcworld c.c. stopped listing it aweek before i ordered, so just had to push for the BFG 6800 ultra :rolleyes:

Just FYI, the GeForce 6800 is a 3 quad processing GPU with a 256 bit memory interface.

The 6600GT is a 2 quad processing GPU with a 128 bit memory interface.

Although the fillrate is higher i the 6600GT, it's memory is still somehwat limited by the 128 bit memory interface. That means performance with Anti aliasing will suuffer as a consequence.

With todays games there isnt much diffrence I have a PNY 6600GT AGP and run Knights of the Old Republic at 1600x1200 8xAA 16xAF @75Hz with no problems and Doom3 almost runs in ultra quality with the occasional studder or pause its almost playable.

I beg to differ ;) 8X AA on 6600GT etc do not work properly. The 8X aa doesn't get applied but a lower AA method does. It has been documented at Overclocker's cafe too.

In short, The wider the memory interface and faster the memory can operate at, means the faster performance you will get with MSAA. SSAA requires better fillrate.

If you get the 6800 go with the GT, and BFG tech. I got mine on ebay and it was brand new. It was worth every penny.

ya, 6800 Gt is the 4 quad (16 pixel procesing pipelined) with 6 Vertex shading units GPU whereas the 6800 is a 3 quad (12 pixel processing pipelined) with 5 Vertex Shading units GPU. Performance between the GT and Ultra and sometimes negligible. :D

MUYA said:
ya, 6800 Gt is the 4 quad (16 pixel procesing pipelined) with 6 Vertex shading units GPU whereas the 6800 is a 3 quad (12 pixel processing pipelined) with 5 Vertex Shading units GPU. Performance between the GT and Ultra and sometimes negligible. :D

I think the GT is just an underclocked Ultra. So if you are the type to OC go with the GT, if you are a warrenty freak go with the Ultra

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back