64 bit xp due next month

I don't think 64bit is going to be as much of a jump as 16bit to 32bit 'aka Win95' for some reason. Although in theory it should be far more. Come to think of it, back then it took ages before the real benefits of 32bit were realized. It's good to see 64bit Win finally arrive though.

The change in Windows won't do that much until the app's all start being released in 16 Bit. Hmm, then we all get to replace $1000's of dollars in software. Suddenly 32 Bit isn't looking so bad.

Speaking of getting ripped off...

Anyone heard any pricing info on Windows 64 yet? I figure $250 with upgrade from XP at $200.

How come it says april in the topic but in the reading it says june?

All I can say is that it's about freaking time! :p

LeeJend said:
Anyone heard any pricing info on Windows 64 yet? I figure $250 with upgrade from XP at $200.
IIRC, if you bought an A64 computer with Windows XP pre-installed, Microsoft was going to offer XP64 as a free upgrade. I don't know if the offer still stands (we'll know for sure when it's released), but it definitely won't apply if you installed a retail copy of XP on a custom-built A64 machine.

I cant wait! I am installing RC2 tonight or tomorrow so that should be fun. I cant wait to get the final version. I better start saving up ;).

you guys aren't gonna be on this os much...it'll take a while for apps to be written for it...though I expect games to be of the first to take advantage

Well MS do have a load of products planned, is mostly server stuff, but I think FarCry has been coming to 64 bit for a year now. ;D

perris said:
you guys aren't gonna be on this os much...it'll take a while for apps to be written for it...though I expect games to be of the first to take advantage
iT It will still run 32-bit apps. ;)

Nice, still got my retail copy I bought from MS in shrink wrap all ready.
I don't know how the trade-up works just yet tho!

so, Which Version is the one that those of us with AMD-64 processors want??? I have only heard a confusing jumble of claims that there are a bunch of Different WindowsXP 64 bit versions being released and that not all of them are optimized for AMD-64 processors....
(I am ashamed of myself for not keeping up with all the latest, but real-life has sort of kept me busy. All of a sudden I read that Windows 64 is being released and then I hear those nasty rumors that all is not as it seems....hmmm...So my only recourse is to scurry back to my old standby....ww.ex-perience.com (yep I was one of the original members here way, way back) which has been born again several times since....to get the REAL SCOOP.)

I love this place. :)
Anyways, any enlightenment you could throw my way would be much appreciated.

-LP

There's just one release of XP x64. The official name is "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" :)

The is one existing 64 bit version of Windows that is made for Itanium. That version won't run at all on x86 or x86_64.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back