64-bit or 32-bit

-seek-

OSNN Addict
Hey guys... I was just wandering about the gaming and application compatibility that 64-bit processors have compared to a 32-bit one. I’m thinking about purchasing a new Intel Core 2 Extreme with Windows Vista Ultimate.

My question is will more games and programs work with the 32-bit processor or the 64-bit?

-thanks

32-bit. Definitely go for 32-bit for at least the next 12 months. There are some games with 64-bit patches such as Far Cry that are slightly better in 64-bit (have extra birds flying around etc) but on the whole, because of poor driver support, 64-bit isn't worth having at the moment.

If you get yourself a retail edition of Vista you'll be able to use either 32-bit or 64-bit so you can 'upgrade' to 64-bit when the support is there.

32-bit. Definitely go for 32-bit for at least the next 12 months. There are some games with 64-bit patches such as Far Cry that are slightly better in 64-bit (have extra birds flying around etc) but on the whole, because of poor driver support, 64-bit isn't worth having at the moment.

If you get yourself a retail edition of Vista you'll be able to use either 32-bit or 64-bit so you can 'upgrade' to 64-bit when the support is there.
he asked just about processor ray, I don't think he's asking about os's

the compatibility is the same since 64 bit cpus can work with 32 bit instructions

so your saying that a 64-bit processor can run 32-bit games and apps?
if you have a 32 bit os running on the 64 bit processor

best scenario, get the 64 bit processor and dual boot 64 and 32 os's

now, I know the amd outperformed the best 32 bit processor for gaming for a while but I don't know if that's still true

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back