64-bit or 32-bit

-seek-

OSNN Addict
Hey guys... I was just wandering about the gaming and application compatibility that 64-bit processors have compared to a 32-bit one. I’m thinking about purchasing a new Intel Core 2 Extreme with Windows Vista Ultimate.

My question is will more games and programs work with the 32-bit processor or the 64-bit?

-thanks

ray_gillespie

Staff member
Political User
32-bit. Definitely go for 32-bit for at least the next 12 months. There are some games with 64-bit patches such as Far Cry that are slightly better in 64-bit (have extra birds flying around etc) but on the whole, because of poor driver support, 64-bit isn't worth having at the moment.

If you get yourself a retail edition of Vista you'll be able to use either 32-bit or 64-bit so you can 'upgrade' to 64-bit when the support is there.

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
32-bit. Definitely go for 32-bit for at least the next 12 months. There are some games with 64-bit patches such as Far Cry that are slightly better in 64-bit (have extra birds flying around etc) but on the whole, because of poor driver support, 64-bit isn't worth having at the moment.

If you get yourself a retail edition of Vista you'll be able to use either 32-bit or 64-bit so you can 'upgrade' to 64-bit when the support is there.
he asked just about processor ray, I don't think he's asking about os's

epk

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political User
the compatibility is the same since 64 bit cpus can work with 32 bit instructions

Perris Calderon

Administrator
Staff member
Political User
so your saying that a 64-bit processor can run 32-bit games and apps?
if you have a 32 bit os running on the 64 bit processor

best scenario, get the 64 bit processor and dual boot 64 and 32 os's

now, I know the amd outperformed the best 32 bit processor for gaming for a while but I don't know if that's still true

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lennerttt