5th major crash in xp!!!

N

neo090282

Hi,

My XP has crashed again the same way for roughly the fifth time. I have pretty much had enough of re-formatting everytime so would rather keep my stuff and solve the problem.

The prob is that the file c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is corrupt or missing. I knpow its not missing because I have managed to check. However I have got a new copy of the file on cd, but I cant boot with a floppy disk cos my drive is NTFS!

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Ian

use ur xp cd and boot into the recovery console... ;)
Expand cdromdrive:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ destination:\WINNT\system32

cdromdrive= ur cd drive
destination=ur winxp

Yea, no what, tell me this. Where does it say you are missing that file? After it post's? Or do you get to logon and see your desktop and able to hit Ctrl Alt Del? If you are able to hit Ctrl Alt and Del and get to your TaskMan, click on File up top and hit Run. Have that file copied already on a CD/Floppy and stick it in and browse to your CD/Floppy. Then copy that file and then paste inside WinNT/system32.

If not, you could just go through it in WinXP Recovery Console. GL.

Anthony

all retail xp cd's boot the only one that doesn't is devil own and in that case no one is gonna help you.

Krux.....it is a genuine one and i managed to get it booted.
Ended up just reinstalling. But surpise surprise it has happened again.
It crashes at start up, before the windows splash screen thing. Its always a system file in c:\windows\system or system32.
From the files i rememeber that have gone missing beofre now, hal.ddl, "something".log, that origonal one in my first post! Any ideas its really annoying, could it have anything to do with my second drive (used for my files) that still has some old files on it. (Even more explanation neede!)

Any ideas??

Thanks

Ian

could be a duff ram stick you know. try overvolting it for stability. 2.7v should be fine

Explain how that works? The RAM is only 4 month old? I have ASUS probe, but cant rememeber if it displays that....

if the rams a little unstable, cranking the voltage up from the BIOS will help stability

Right is that advisable though and sure this is possible from bios?
What is standard voltage and why does this make it more stable? Sorry for the questions!!

:)

standard is like 2.5 I think and yes its safe, and when things are starved for power in your computer they don't work right so upping the voltage will make sure your ram is running as it should be and not choking up when its under load

sweet, i'll give i a go tonight and see how it is.

Thanks

You can also try to lower the timing on the ram also in bios ... ie: mine has settings of , normal , fast, fastest, and turbo .. also all this can be done manually... so in the bios find the dram timings and see if you have any way of changing the ram timing ... as said above a little extra juice ( voltage ) adds stabillity.. because I over clock as you can see in my specs below I needed to lower ram to normal speed and add vcore volts to get my rig steady :)

Isn't ntoskrnl.exe the file that holds the boot screen data amongst other data?
I remember awhile back that people customised ntoskrnl.exe so they get different boot screens.

RaG

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back