58% of iPod owners likely to buy Zune

Grandmaster

Electronica Addict
Political Access
BERLIN: With a 75 percent share of the U.S. market for portable digital music players and an 85 percent share of paid-for music downloads, Apple's iPod-iTunes combination seems to have a lock on the business.

That is why Steve Wilson, a consumer electronics analyst, was so surprised this month when he read the results of a survey by ABI Research of 1,725 randomly chosen owners of digital media players. To Wilson's shock, 58 percent of iPod owners told ABI they were likely to buy a Zune, the new player Microsoft plans to start selling in the U.S. market on Tuesday, and in 2007 in Europe.

"The idea you get from Apple is that everybody loves iPod and iTunes and that they've got the market sewn up," said Wilson, an ABI analyst in Boston. "But this shows that iPod users aren't very loyal and the market is up for grabs."

"On its face, I don't think the first incarnation of Zune will have much of an impact," said Jason Armitage, an analyst with International Data Corp. in London. "They still have a lot of catching up to do with Apple, and their first go round will probably not send the competition running."

But some analysts say that Microsoft will tap its vast resources to eventually turn Zune into a contender.

Full Article
It's probably a good idea to take this survey with a large grain of salt, but I'd be interested to see what numbers they would get with follow-up surveys.

Perhaps the Zune will end up like the Xbox - it will really go "mainstream" with the second generation.

Dont think the Xbox is all that mainstream really I mean sure the 360 got some sales but it has had a year head start. after this month the fun will start as far as numbers go , I dont think 58% of Ipod owers will want a Zune ..but if they can offer a nice product the people wanting a new piece of hardware will be looking at whats out there, who knows in 2 years where they will be.

Whatever the numbers, one thing is clear: the Xbox 360 is selling worse than the original Xbox did back when it hit Japan in February of 2002. I know this thread is not about Xbox's :0)

I think its good we have other options the Zune will be one of those options

It is indeed a silly statistic.
I want a Zune tho, purely as very few people in the UK will

- Have one
- Know what they are

http://www.i4u.com/article7082.html

Thats all that ipod users need :)

iluv-i1055BLK.jpg

In related news, 75% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I know that it is an old joke, still thought it was funny. Sorry for being wrong.

OOO He Got burned!
Are these statistics serious?

I don't know about the statistics, but one of the things that I like about my iPod is iTunes. I like the fact that I have a one-stop-shop to purchase music, burn music CDs, rip CDs, listen to music, and listen to my music. I don't have to use5 different programs in order to do what I want to do. My understanding is that that this is not really possible with the Zune

Itunes is horrible for the music i like,
they dont have anything i like.

I think i will get a zune, or wait, what am i saying, id prolly get the zen vision w.
But i MIGHT get the zune, just to show my non-support for the ipod :)

I thought you were going out?

I cant leave these dang forums!!!!

Naw, i been gettin ready and checking back on the pc like a distracted add person.

I don't know about the statistics, but one of the things that I like about my iPod is iTunes. I like the fact that I have a one-stop-shop to purchase music, burn music CDs, rip CDs, listen to music, and listen to my music. I don't have to use5 different programs in order to do what I want to do. My understanding is that that this is not really possible with the Zune

MS is building a competitor to the iTunes music store, but I'm not sure if it has the same amount of music.

I'm an iPod owner, and I shall purchase a Zune... to test its buoyancy.

Last edited:
Yeah, totally not excited about this.

I wonder if you will hear about the scratches on these ?? That really upset me with my iPod. I had it for a week and the amount of scratches that were on it made it look like it was a year old ..

I wonder if you will hear about the scratches on these ?? That really upset me with my iPod. I had it for a week and the amount of scratches that were on it made it look like it was a year old ..

Yeah I agree Apple needs to drastically improve the quality of the coating. Although then all the millions made on iPod cases would be lost...:rolleyes:

Yeah I agree Apple needs to drastically improve the quality of the coating. Although then all the millions made on iPod cases would be lost...:rolleyes:

For this reason, I think Apple did this on purpose.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back