56k usage

For an extra twenty quid you could try BT’s broadband. 500k download 250k upload depending on the users on your node (contention).

Do you have a cable (NTL or Telewest) supplier near your location, as these are cheaper and faster?

Nope, our BT Exchange isn't DSL enabled and NTL don't even supply telephone lines here, let-alone Cable.

This should be a matter of National concern.

All cable companies in the UK are teetering on the verge of bankruptcy. No new areas are slated to receive any sort of cabling within the next five years because of the cost. British Telecom which caused the problem in the first place is obviously going to sit on its hands and wait to see what it can “scavenge” from what’s left over. Meanwhile we all sit waiting.

Ok BT has started down the broadband route but at its own leisurely pace. It still has a stranglehold on the local loop.

The only way this can be resolved is for the government to intervene as they said they were going to do but have, so far not as the figures scare them as well. They will have to intervene eventually as lots of businesses are using the availability of broadband to select premises outside big cities. Satellite broadband is not an option as it’s far too expensive unless you have the “black “h” book” and the software that goes with it. Then it’s free.

“black “h” book” ??????? what is this?

i never heard of it before.

It’s a small book written by a senior BT engineer some time ago, in which various ways were given to gain access to communication satellites (and others) and how to use these systems without payment. This was not a hacker’s handbook as everything in was legal. It’s just that it was not available to the general public as it contained mostly engineering info. However it was upon its release into the wild (by mistake) by a disgruntled employee that the British Government decided to make it a criminal offence to be in possession of same. It also contained information on how to make any phone call from the UK at nil charge to anywhere in the word by applying a (simple) mathematical formula to the telephone number dialled. In addition information was supplied that by adding one resistor and a capacitor to the incoming phone line you never received a telephone bill.

Even worse was that all digital exchanges could be accesses (via the engineers mode) so that you could ring someone, when they lifted the handset you could generate the dial-tone but when they replace the receiver the phone was still on-line so you could hear everything spoken in that room. This required the software that came with the book as did satellite access.

This book I last observed about eight months ago, the person did not have the software that originally went with it.

Our government views this as a security risk. I wonder why as it’s designed into all digital exchanges worldwide including the US!!

WOW, this disgruntled employee, where could i find him:D ;)

i have XP_erienced sat broadband and it sucks, latency is a mjor issue with the satelite networks..:mad:

He can be found everywhere and nowhere just like Father Christmas. You have to frequent the Public Houses near Milbank and just across the other side of Vauxhall bridge in London.

hehe, Im quite pissed at BT's rumoured plans to cap there ADSL service now, i was planning of going back to bt to get the adsl services, but im sceptical of this now as i need an uncapped service.

BT really need a swift + painfull kick in the a$$ from the goverment. there draging there heels + were all sufering:(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back