533 MHz fsb, which memory?

Wrathchild

OSNN Senior Addict
Hey folks,

I have a new mobo with a 533MHz fsb. I'm currently using PC2100 DDR RAM, which is 266MHz. I'm thinking about getting PC2700 DDR RAM which is 333Mhz. Apparently there is no 533 MHz DDR RAM available. First: Can I use 333Mhz RAM on a 533 fsb and secondly, would I notice any difference?

Thanks,

Wrath

yes u can use it.

as far as the difference in performance, there is a difference in the speed, but in most applications u won't notice that much of a diiference, really ur call.

:D

The 533MHz fsb is for the CPU. If your board can handle 333MHz memory then you can buy it. Since there is no 533MHz memory your board will not support it if they start selling 533MHz memory in the future.

Finally got an answer.

I finally found an answer from Tom's Hardware.

"while the 845E supports the 533MHz front side bus for Northwood B Pentium 4s, the new memory controller hub (MCH) on 845E does not support PC2700 DDR."

SO there ya go. Bummage.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back