$50 laptop sale sets off violent stampede

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
Any of you involved in this?! :eek:

RICHMOND, Va. - A rush to purchase $50 used laptops turned into a violent stampede Tuesday, with people getting thrown to the pavement, beaten with a folding chair and nearly driven over. One woman went so far to wet herself rather than surrender her place in line.

"This is total, total chaos," said Latoya Jones, 19, who lost one of her flip-flops in the ordeal and later limped around on the sizzling asphalt pavement with one foot bare.

An estimated 5,500 people turned out at the Richmond International Raceway in Henico County, Virginia, in hopes of getting their hands on one of the 4-year-old Apple iBooks, which retail for between $999 and $1,299 when they are new. Henico County public schools were selling 1,000 of the computers to residents.

Officials opened the gates at 7 a.m., but some already had been waiting since 1 a.m. When the gates opened, it became a terrifying mob scene.

People threw themselves forward, screaming and pushing each other. A little girl's stroller was crushed in the stampede. Witnesses said an elderly man was thrown to the pavement, and someone in a car tried to drive his way through the crowd.

Seventeen people suffered minor injuries, with four requiring hospital treatment, police said. There were no arrests.

"It's rather strange that we would have such a tremendous response for the purchase of a laptop computer — and laptop computers that probably have less-than- desirable attributes," said Paul Proto, director of general services for Henrico County. "But I think that people tend to get caught up in the excitement of the event — it almost has an entertainment value."

Blandine Alexander, 33, said one woman standing in front of her was so desperate to retain her place in line that she urinated on herself.

"I've never been in something like that before, and I never again will," said Alexander, who brought her 14-year-old twin boys to the complex at 4:30 a.m. to wait in line. "No matter what the kids want, I already told them I'm not doing that again."

Jesse Sandler said he was one of the people pushing forward, using a folding chair he had brought with him to beat back people who tried to cut in front of him.

"I took my chair here and I threw it over my shoulder and I went, 'Bam,'" the 20-year-old said nonchalantly, his eyes glued to the screen of his new iBook, as he tapped away on the keyboard at a testing station.

"They were getting in front of me and I was there a lot earlier than them, so I thought that it was just," he said.

Holy crap! Urinating on yourself and beating people with chairs? What a bunch of loonies!

NetRyder said:
What would you do? Run over people with your Go Kart? :D

I actually was thinking of that. Just do a drive by computer grab and bam I am out lol

This just shows the true beast, people at their best :p

I think it would have been a better idea to review a group of people and give the computers to families that have kids in school that cannot pay for one

sad. but just think of what it would of been if they were 25 dollar ipods lol

Apple lovers are sick fooks.

I agree, there are people who need them more, like other schools. Everyone there was probably a yuppie, who needed a lappie to look cool at the coffee shop.

****tards.

I would of saved money by driving there and getting a $25 ipod if they were...maybe.

Steevo said:

I agree, there are people who need them more, like other schools. Everyone there was probably a yuppie, who needed a lappie to look cool at the coffee shop.

****tards.

Most any computer literate person would spring for a deal like that. Even if you didn't like Apple computers you would get one just to turn around and sell it on eBay for more. It has nothing to do with the cliche characterization of Apple users.

Come on.... 5500 people lining up to buy a 4 year old laptop?!?! pfff...

Wouldn't mind joining the stampede though... hehe ;)

I wasn't really poking at Apple users, just @holes in general.

Anyone eer read the horror stories about Backstreet Bouys tickets and youg girls standing in line? Talk about vicious.

Steevo said:
I wasn't really poking at Apple users, just @holes in general.

Steevo said:

Anyone eer read the horror stories about Backstreet Bouys tickets and youg girls standing in line? Talk about vicious.

Yeah, the most ridiculous images I've ever seen are from Michael Jackson concerts. :rolleyes: Also, riots at some international soccer games.

Steevo said:

I have done some security at those boy band concerts. Those little girls will do mostly anything to get backstage, it's really sad that some parents just let their kids go to an event like these without supervision.

Crowd control. They needed to establish guidellines before they gave computers away. Without it they never had control.

f6_12_sb.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/HENRICO-COUNTY-...ryZ15687QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

rofl.gif

ming said:
Come on.... 5500 people lining up to buy a 4 year old laptop?!?! pfff...

Wouldn't mind joining the stampede though... hehe ;)
I actually read someone estimating the crowd @ 12K. :s I would have been there for sure if I lived anywhere close to to the school.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back