4 year degrees needed?

J

jcs83md

Just curious.. how many of you guys work in the computer industry without a 4 year degree?? Do you think it is possible to be financially successful in this industry without one?

I worked for a year and a half without any degree as a systems administrator. But I highly recommend as much education as possible when it comes to the computer industry cause the scene is always changing and the more you know the better of you are in salary wise. Keep reading books and digest anything that comes accross your eyes.

I've been in the IT field for about 18 yrs now. No degree, I survive on my what I make but a degree will take you further and you'll make more money. My advise is go to school (stay in if already there) get your degree, you'll be glad you did.

on my 2nd year of a 2 year sys admin / programmer degree aka Computer System Tech degree .... but I might continue going on for 2 more years somewhere else

Even if you mannege to get a job without a degree, its will be mutch mutch harder for you to work in it.

Most compeneys will hire someone with a degree, and not a person without one...

It never was implanted in my brain that college was a big deal. Of course, that's probably because my parents didnt care to pay for it. I'm 18, and I went through a year of community college, and didnt get much out of it at all. Right now, I'm part time at a family friends' business.. not making a whole lot but getting experience programming and maintaining/repairing systems.

On an interesting side note I was reading the other day on how so many kids are getting 4 year degrees that the worth of them is diminishing... and that the computer industry is one of the only ones left where you can make top money without one.

get a degree if you can afford it but get as much experience as you can.. you'll find it a catch22 since there's tons of experienced people who can't get the good jobs but 'educated' people may get the job but have little experience.. same ole in many industries..

Getting somewhere in the IT field without a degree depends on how smart you are, how quickly you pick up things, and the company that hires you. As I stated earlier, I've been doing this type of work quite a long time now. Most has been luck for me, hearing about a company that is hiring and so on. I also pick up on things quick, show me 2 times and I've got it.
Look at all your options before you make any decisions, GL :)

Originally posted by Jewelzz
I've been in the IT field for about 18 yrs now.

LOL!

Thats how long I've been alive for :)

Started university in September 2002 :D and I plan to stick it all the way as I am a keen person.

I got 2 A grades from an AVCE in ICT course I did 2 years ago and finished this June.

I have seen some of my friends in secondary school who did not go college and now they have (dare I say it...) *lousy* jobs and lives unfortunatley.

being at the right place at the right time, and who you know can go a long way too

Quote: -

“get a degree if you can afford it but get as much experience as you can.. you'll find it a catch22 since there's tons of experienced people who can't get the good jobs but 'educated' people may get the job but have little experience.. same ole in many industries..”

Is Catch22 back on this board then!!!!!!!

No seriously I’ve got a degree but it did not help in the IT industry, which is now driven by politics. Ok my degree it’s not in IT but then this subject did not exist then.
It’s more important to make sure that the company you are employed by has directors that are computer literate, so many aren’t relying on their IT staff, most of which are not qualified to give any opinion having only CEng or equivalent.
My brother (flunked University) is now in charge of one of the largest computer enabled operations in the EEC. You will also find that in the three or four years (for Bsc(Hon)) you will be out-of-date the day you leave, and not only that, every year you will have to set aside eight weeks to update your knowledge. If not you’ll be on the scrap heap five years down the road.
It’s not unusual here in the UK to find even large organisations with turnovers in excess of >£200,0000,0000.00p that don’t employ any IT qualified staff at all. This may sound impossible but it’s true. I work for one.

My brother did (and does still) good in the industry with only an AA degree but he has been in it for close to 20 years now and things may have changed.
Some companies won't even give someone a second look with out a degree so stay in school if not for any other reason but to open a few doors.

My advise would be to go to university.....and never leave. The Real worlds sucks :)

its more of who you know than what you know and with shite like the a- levels this week i can see why (hope no one got screwed by the a-levels)

I agree with XP Abuser, its mainly who you know, but thats with everything in life. Better keep that aim list pretty long if you want to stay connected ;)! Add a lot of people to your e-mailings, they go for that stuff :)

Originally posted by jcs83md
It never was implanted in my brain that college was a big deal. Of course, that's probably because my parents didnt care to pay for it. I'm 18, and I went through a year of community college, and didnt get much out of it at all. Right now, I'm part time at a family friends' business.. not making a whole lot but getting experience programming and maintaining/repairing systems.

jcs, pay for your schooling yourself. Others do it every day

"so many kids are getting 4 year degrees that the worth of them is diminishing..."

If I were hiring I would choose the grad over the non anyday.

Good luck. :):)
JMHO

Study at home and save the outrageous tuition fees. Read much, do your own practicals and you will be miles ahead without student loans barking at you while you look for a job. I believe in the Abe Lincoln way of being "self taught.":)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back