3mb Virtual Memory Needed To Run The Program ???

P

percyv143

HI. i am trying to run a program, kaplan nclex, to my xp pro 512mb computer. i had already set the icon/program to run on 256color and 640 resolution but everytime i run it it stops and show a window that says, " DIRECT PLAYER 6.0 : it needs to have at least 3MB virtual memory to run this program:.
How can i fix this ?
Thanks.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL !

percy

Assuming it is a virtual memory shortage you can increase virtual memory by:
start-control panel-system-advanced-performance settings-advanced-virtual memory-change (long trip to get there)

You should have it set for 1.5 times your system RAM 512x1.5=768. Windows is supposed to manage virtual memory by itself when set to "system manged size" but sometimes it needs help...

Virtual memory is a file on your HD that windows dumps unused programs in memory to. It uses up your HD space so you should have at least 2 gig free if you are setting it to 768 meg.

Fixed, min/max or system managed advantages disadvantages:

min/max - bad idea saves nothing, fragments HD, depends on windows to be smart.

system managed - same as min/max

fixed - windows always uses the same file space so fragmentation gets no worse than when you started. You can decide how much to use based on how much HD sapce you have.
Can be faster due to reduced fragmentation.

page file settings were not changed and my drive has a min/max of 1500/2100 mb of page memory. did try to uninstall and reinstall but problem still exists.
what else can i do?
thanks for your responses.
good day.

percy

I went to see if the program was shareware to see if I could reproduce your problem

it's not, so I can't

do me a favor...try uninstalling again...this time after you uninstall, run a registry cleaner and eliminate whatever you can find that still remains

then go to your program files and remove the file that's probably still their also

then reinstall the program to a different file then the default

also, I'd try to install this program from this disc onto another box to see if it's a corrupt install

leejand...not to discuss your assessment of pagefile on this thread, if you'd like, pm me and I'll send you all the links and info you need, but in a nut shell, it's impossible for a system managed pagefile to cause more fragmentation of the hardrive, it actually causes less fragmentation, not more...in addition, system managed is always better then a fixed pagefile

pm me for more info please, let's not discuss this on this thread

percyv143...let me know how reinstalling to a different location then the default goes, but to be hones, I'm lost after that...I'd try a different download of the program...let me know either way

ah...also try reinstalling not only the kaplan program, but also the flash program...use the method I described above to do it

antoher qustion...I am assuming ths os is xp

wow yoyo...great page...I never thought I'd see an app that needs less virtual memory in order to run at all

very iteresting indeed

Seems the program simply interprets 1 GB as 1 Mb and thinks there is not enough virtual memory available.

Obviously some programmers did not think of Gigabytes, some years ago.

well, according to the user, he only has 512 mbs, however, combined with his pf, the program is reading (or more to the point, not reading) the over a gig total..., the program reads this as only a little more then 1mb, and not 1gig...

i will try uninstalling the program again and follow the procedures you recommended.
i'll get back to you again.
thanks a lot.

percy

"Kaplan nclex" is a cd that came with the textbook and when you open it macromedia flash is the viewer that shows".

well, I don't think any of that is going to work...this program was not written for xp, and it can't see more then a gig of virtual memory....or more then a very small amount of virtual memory...as I say. this wasn't written for xp

all memory in xp is read as virtual

I think you will get results, (at a sacrifice for other programs which you probably won't notice) if you lower the initial minimum of your pagefile to 386...this will bring your total virtual memory to less then a gig

you'll have to reboot

btw

this is xp, right?

Originally posted by percyv143
HI. i am trying to run a program, kaplan nclex, to my xp pro 512mb computer. i had already set the icon/program to run on 256color and 640 resolution but everytime i run it it stops and show a window that says, " DIRECT PLAYER 6.0 : it needs to have at least 3MB virtual memory to run this program:.
How can i fix this ?
Thanks.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL !

percy

yep :)

I will try to set my pagefile lower than a Gig when I get home.
I'll post back if it'll address the problem.
Thanks a lot.

Percy

hi. i tried changing the "initial size to 386 and max of 450" and the total paging file size allocated as shown is 1886MB. still the program did not run. i am also trying to call the customer number for the program maker.
what else do you think we need to do to solve this?
thanks a lot for your help.

percy

ya, I did some research on the program, , this is actually pretty amusing...the prograam was written badly, when there was not much memory available...they haven't re written the program for xp...it's like trying to drive a car on a road that was built for bycycles...you can do it, but it's trecherous...

try lowering maximum and minimum pagefile to 200 mbs.

this is a huge sacrifice, as you will be forcing the os to start unloading .exe's and dlls long before they are supposed to be unloaded...but if the program is important to you, other performance will have to be sacrificed

also, please let me know that you are running xp and not a dos os...true?

yes this is xp pro. how should i set it up? min 200mb max 250mb? or min 150 and max 200mb?
i will try to set it on the later and see what will happen.
i'll post back what'll happen.
thanks.

percy

my hd is partitioned and i set c drive to less 195min and 200max an d drive to 2min and 3max and had a total page file of 195MB. the program worked!
so I guess this is really how it works. :(
imagine to set your computer to go slow to run it.
thanks a lot for your help. i appreciate it.
does it have another fix that "director 6.x"?
good day.

percy

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back