360 Controller PC

N

Not Bman

I have read in many places, I just want to make sure before buy from people I trust.

I am going to buy an original XBOX 360 Wired Controller. Do they work with the pc?

emeritus

Beware the Monkeys!!!
Yes, both the wired and wireless 360 comtrollers work with Windows, the wireless of course requires a separate receiver, but you can buy a bundle at Best Buy. The wired controller should just be plug & play. I have the wireless setup and it works great, plus a lot of newer games are coming pre-setup for the 360 controller.

Edit: There is wired controller software, which you can get from here

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/d...ontroller&name=pk_xbox_cont&os=XP_SP1&lang=en

Taurus

hardware monkey
they worked fine a while back... windows got it's own driver from the internet and everything. then i think we tried it a couple months ago on a diff computer and it asked for a driver and ms wouldn't provide it. but if ms won't give you a driver, it can't be hard to find one on the interweb somewhere. (edit; yeah, emeritus has got it)

fyi, the wireless works if you have the recharge kit with the usb charging cable... works as a hard wired connection.

N

Not Bman

well futureshop and bestbuy here has the wireless package, but it's 79.99 which is a rip off.

epk

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
i have the wired one and its really the best pad available

just.. if u wanna get rumble working on old (and not so old too) games u need some 3rd party drivers
if u do get one, post here and i'll give u the link

Petros

Thief IV
$30 is pretty good for the official one, and you could always get a third party brand. Third party controllers work great for me, but they never have exactly the same feel due to everybody patenting everything. Also, I have some dead zone issues, which MS controller driver does not let you set.

If you need it, the driver is always easy to find.

epk

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
right... dead zone issues, i knew it wasnt only the rumble thing

well, here's what i use petros, give it a try

cant remember which one im using, but both should be fine :p

by the way, these drivers use directinput and not the new xinput, so while these have improvements they dont work with xinput based games, like gears of war, asassin's creed and others... i think crysis and r6 vegas also have problems, but to tell u the truth, why would anyone not use a keyboard+mouse setup with those?

also, bman, i think 30$ is not bad.. its really one of the best pads i've ever tried (i think the gamecube one is slightly better, but cant use those on pc :D)

N

Not Bman

Yea I had a deal for one 6 months ago for like 20 in total, thats why I am hesitant. Also it's like first gen xbox360 controller, so I had to make sure it would work (im assuming they never really changed the controllers).

I think I am going to buy it.

*EDIT

Yea I just bought it on ebay. There are some complications with payment since my paypal wouldn't work, had to use Creditcard. And so on...but hopefully I should have it in a week or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

vern

Dominus
Political Access
Yes works great. Doesn't even have to be an original Xbox controller. You can get your hands on a 3rd party 360 controller and it should work perfectly.

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
I used one on my MBP for Crysis, was great fun. Some games don't have built in support but Pinnacle Game Profiler does a reasonably good job with those.

N

Not Bman

Is there Vista drivers for the wired controller? I hope so, I can't find them?

*edit, found them! Actually Vista detected it right away, found the latest drivers (i checked and made sure) and installed them. Working great. I am starting to really love Vista!

Last edited by a moderator:

ste_w

OSNN Senior Addict
Wireless one if great, however i tend to leave it unplugged as it either knocks my wireless signal off or boosts the range judging by the wireless bars, so good and bad points on that front lol. other than that v.ease to use and set up. Dunno if u need vista for the wireless one tho? Another thing...Alone in the dark doesnt seem to find the wireless one if ur gona be getting that game.

Geffy

OSNN Veteran Addict
I think any game with the "Games for Windows" thing on it should support the XBox 360 Controller

N

Not Bman

Yea most likley,

and I am getting Alone in the Dark actually, and I already knew that. My friend is having issues with his controllers and the game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.
Terrahertz wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Yo fellas!
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Where are you buddy?
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey EP! All good with me, applying for Microsoft MVP right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by coming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier!
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
EP, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nodee