333mhz, should i get XP?

So let me get this straight, NTSC saves more space, and Fat32 is faster? Correct me if i'm wrong. Also, can i run stuff of a Fat32 Drive if i am running XP on a NTSC drive?

its NTFS -- New Technology File System. Its how the computer keeps track of where all the files are on the computer. thats why defragging works to make your computer faster also. but back to what i was going to say.... you also cannot convert NTFS back to FAT32. Some possible side effects of running NTFS over FAT32. one possible side effect of running NTFS over FAT 32 is that if a friend copies some files to a 3 1/2 in floppy, and he is running FAT32 (or FAT16 or just FAT for that matter) you will be able to read the disk. the problem comes in if you try to give something to that friend. he will not be able to read what is on that disk. one of the reason that MS did this is because of security reasons. if a cracker wanted to get into a file system that was running NTFS and you are running FAT, you will not be able to read what is on that system, because your computer does not have the capability of reading it. this problem does not occur with CDs or DVDs. they have a file system all their own called CDFS. now that i have babled on and on and on, i hope that i have helped some people out.

Brad

Not necessarily

FAT32 will, yes, be faster, but not noticably so, especially on an 8 GB hard drive. Brad is also correct about the translation issues between FAT32 and NTFS. In my opinion, NTFS is better, solely because it can read FAT32 and FAT16, and FAT etc., while FAT32, can only read anything created vefore it's time (FAT16, FAT).

So if i transfter files back and forth with Fat32 people a lot, i should use Fat32?

Both will do fine although I'd use NTFS seing as XP is a NT platform Operating System and is slightly more stable within XP. Go with NTFS if it fails to perform try FAT32, use trial and error until you find the best configuration for your setup.

The force seems strong with NTFS! :)
Can i convert my Fat32 drive to NTFS and still keep my files?
If i use NTFS and send files to a Fat32 person, he can't read these files?
Will some games and programs not run on NTFS but run on Fat32?

Yes, you can convert FAT32 to NTFS and keep all your files, and yes, if you use NTFS, a person with a FAT32 file system couldn't read your files off of REMOVABLE MEDIA "DISKS" (3.5" Floppy, ZIP Drives etc). As stated before, you will have no problems with CD's because they use their own file system (CDFS). There will be no problems with games and/or programs running on FAT32 and not on NTFS or vice versa because:

A.) It is a Floppy Program/Game and is written in FAT32 which can be read by NTFS.

or

B.) The program/game is on a CD (almost all have been since the release of NTFS, and if they had been on a floppy, then there would have been two sets of disks), which, an application on a CD would be in CDFS.

Also, just to clarify, there will be no problems 'sending' to FAT32 from an NTFS machine, and no problems 'recieving' NTFS from a FAT32 machine via electronic methods (email, file transfer, throught network server, etc). As stated earlier, the only problems that will be encountered will be using 'disks' that use the file system of your hard drive.

Any questions, post a reply.

Thanks man! That answered all my questions plus all the other questions i wanted to ask. That cleared up a lot of stuff.

np...ur welcome

np man, that thanks should also go out to xxbigeyedfishxx (Brad) and Antallica for their supporting knowledge...

ok

This is in response to the first few replies to this post :

Isn't the MAIN reason for using XP as our Operating System to have STABILITY for once in a MS product? Who really cares what it looks like? One response stated that running XP on this PII would give him "Windows 98 performance". This is ridiculous. I have used the previous Win 9x Operating Systems and they were HORRIBLE. The word "Stable" could not be used to describe any of these previous MS embarrassments. Performance will not be lacking (too bad) on a PII with XP as long as the system settings are for "best performance" and most - if not ALL - XP animations are turned OFF. Remember, this system is SLOW compared to modern processors which are now up to speeds of 2.4ghz! The purpose of this OS is to provide us with STABILITY. I have a PII 350mhz with 256mb RAM and a 16mb video card and the computer is running GREAT for what it is. It is STABLE. (Although my main computer is a P4 1.7 with a GeForce 3 and a gig of RAMBUS RAM). Good luck with XP.

hey i just do what i can when i can, cuz others help me plenty on here

Brad

dejavoo, and anyone else that wants to contribute...please visit partitions obsolete? string,which has nothing to do with this string, but judging from the knowledge you've demonstrated here, I think I would like to here your opinion on the afore mentioned link...thanx

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back