~33 dead in Virginia Tech shooting rampage

I understand the feeling of those from the UK. Gun control being what it is over there. But here there are actually ALOT of people with guns for a good purpose. I intend on buying a 9mm and jacketed bullets for the camping trips and hikes we take. It is powerful enough to penetrate the skull of a bear, as well as other possible threats. And will remain loaded at home.

Give a nutter a carrot and he can do a person harm if he wants to. I grew up around guns, my dad still keeps and uses them, but they don't interest me in the least.

I heard an interesting fact on the radio, apparently six million people live in Switzerland and two million publicly-owned firearms.
Guns are deeply rooted within Swiss culture - but the gun crime rate is so low that statistics are not even kept.

The country has a population of six million, but there are estimated to be at least two million publicly-owned firearms, including about 600,000 automatic rifles and 500,000 pistols.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1566715.stm

in my sociology class todaym this was all we talked about...that chou kid or whetever has issues....did you read his plays? Anyways, i blame the school for not acting fast enough, he did nothing for almost two hours after he shot his GF and the ra.....****ing sick world we live in..

Give a nutter a carrot and he can do a person harm if he wants to. I grew up around guns, my dad still keeps and uses them, but they don't interest me in the least.

I heard an interesting fact on the radio, apparently six million people live in Switzerland and two million publicly-owned firearms.

In switzerland everyone is forced into the army at 18, until they are 34 (don't have to serve the entire time, read article at Wikipedia), from there on they are always on standby until they are 45, after which they can't be called on for a war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Army

Having lived there for 4 years I am unable to recall any shootings at all, in or around Basel.

Anyways, i blame the school for not acting fast enough, he did nothing for almost two hours after he shot his GF and the ra.....****ing sick world we live in..

I don't know that I really blame the school.. Let's take a step back and take a look at it:

* first shooting happened at 7:15am.. with little to no further information available, I think the schools initial reaction was appropiate.

* They did send out a warning email that there was a shooting on campus after the initial shooting.

* there was nothing to suggest the first shooting would have lead to further shootings. Police were probably just getting there and trying to sort out what happened, let alone who did it and the possible motives. All indications pointed to a localized shooting.. I believe it was the police that came to the conlusion that the initial shooting as an isolated incident.

* again, There was nothing glaringly obvious that the shooter in the first shooting was headed to a building across campus to start a shooting spree. It's not like he left a note or wrote on the walls that there was more shooting to come.

* The school was just getting enough people/info together at around 9:30am (15 minutes before the other shootings).. this isn't really all that slow considering the shock and amount of info that needs to be gathered before trying to hold an intellegent conversation.

* What could the school have done?
Lock down the campus? how? You have off-campus students in their cars/bikes on the road heading to school..
Evacuate the campus? How long do you think it would have taken the school to go around to each office, dorm, lab, etc and make sure that all buildings were empty and locked? Even if you do get everyone out of the buildings, where do they go? Not everyone there has cars to get off campus.. so, they just mill about campus wandering around..or sitting in front of their buildings where a shooter would still have fairly free reign (granted, they would be able to scatter a little more effectivly)

* It's not like a college campus has campus wide intercom system between all buildings and dorms.. you have teachers and students alike that live off campus as well.. how would you even get around to warning everyone? Phone trees?

I think more could have been done, but hind-sight is 20-20.
# 7:15 a.m.: A 9-1-1 emergency call to Virginia Tech Police reports a shooting at West Ambler Johnston Hall, leaving one person dead and one injured. The second person later died.
# 7:30 a.m.: Investigators were following up on leads concerning a person of interest in relation to the double homicide. Investigators from VT PD and Blacksburg PD were actively following up on various leads. Meanwhile, Cho returns to his dorm room to re-load and leaves a "disturbing note."
# 8:00 a.m.: Classes begin.
# 8:25 a.m.: Virginia Tech leadership team meets to develop a plan on how to notify students of the homicide. Meanwhile, police stop the unidentified "person of interest" in a vehicle off-campus and detain him for questioning.
# 9:00 a.m.: Virginia Tech leadership team is briefed on the latest events in the ongoing dormitory homicide investigation.
# 9:05 a.m.: Cho seen in Norris Hall, an Engineering building. Cho chains the doors shut from the inside to prevent escape.
# 9:15 a.m.: While the "person of interest" was being interrogated by investigators, shots are fired in Norris Hall.
# 9:26 a.m.: E-mails go out to campus staff, faculty, and students saying there has been a shooting on campus (in reference to the Dorm shooting).
# 9:45 a.m.: Students in the engineering building Norris Hall call police to report more shots have been fired.[108] Cho kills 30 more people before turning the gun on himself. Police have breached the barricaded doors, but the shooter is dead before police arrive.
# 9:50 a.m.: A second e-mail announcing: "A gunman is loose on campus. Stay in buildings until further notice. Stay away from all windows" is sent to all Virginia Tech email addresses. Loudspeakers broadcast a similar message.

Last edited:

I think thats one of the statistics they put forward in the bowling for columbine film, all these other countries have just as many guns but no where near the gun related death rates.

From an early age Swiss men and women associate weaponry with being called to defend their country.
This could be the major difference between the US and Switzerland, societies impression of what taking up a gun means.

The school could have done more with regards to the papers he wrote for english class.

As I think I read in the UK press yesterday its impossible to put the genie back into the bottle when its been let out, the best thing that can be done is to put more restrictions or make ammunition harder to get and put more pressure on stopping black market sellings.

The sad thing is however there will always be someone somewhere with the motivaition to do something like this.

Maybe this time they will do something , or they can wait for the guy that kills 50 people , no wait make it 60 why not .... when is enough enough ?

There are more murders in New York city 8 million people then there are in alot of country's , there is a serious problem with the USA and violence .

Re: 21+ dead in Virginia Tech shooting rampage

Saying this isnt a gun control issue is just stupid, if you couldn't get a gun, you couldn't kill someone with it.

Like this guy really cared if the gun was legal or not. Gun control laws only censor honest law abiding citizens. Its much like locks on your car. Who are you gonna keep out? Surely you jest if you think someone down with stealing your car gives a rats ass if its locked or not.

So ... if one planned on killing someone ... do you honestly think they care if the gun is legal or not? How about letting everyone express their constitutional right of carrying weapons?

If everyone ...or even 1 person had a weapon besides this person who obviously didn't care if he was legal or not ... at least there would have been a chance that the law abiding gun carrying citizen could have stopped it.

The entire reason the 2nd ammendment was inacted was because ...even back then when written our forefathers could envision that the government is inadequate and cant always protect its citizens. Come on ..this was the SECOND ammendment ...must be pretty important.

Just a thought ... how far do you think this guy would have made it back in the wild west days? Better yet .. you think this guy would have even considered doing this knowing that there was a more than likely chance that someone else besides him was packing some heat?

Even the most hardened criminals of that era had honor ...if not respect for the man ..and the people the man was supposed to protect.

Lastly, our great society is faultering under gutless wonders that think everything is peaceful ..the same people that don't think spanking your children is correct ...

Fear plays an important role in growing up. Fear in its correct presentation leads to respect. Respect leads to dicipline ..with respect and dicipline one can achieve great honor. These are not things we are born with ..these are great qualities that seem to have fallen to the wasteside. I can only hope we can return to our respectful and honorous ways.

Obviously ... there are some ironies here that the world should see ..a JEWISH HOLOCAUST professor saved the lives of CHRISTIANS AND MUSLIMS ... White people were counciled by blacks ...blacks by whites ..and on and on.

Our country is for its people ..by its people ... and sometimes ..even lately all the time ..the rest of the world would like to forget that. For the Akmud Amajenidjanad and Osama BinLadens ... open your eyes jackasses.

I hope that something good can come from this great tradgedy other than the spin machine of gun control ... I hope the entire world can see the real good ..and the real bad that comes from things like this. I even hope that people can figure things like this would have been considered not too tradgic at the hands of Saddam or even teh Taliban when you didnt submit to their tyranny.

I pray those families of the lost ..even the family of the shooter ..can somehow find peace and eventual meaning in this ...as to where their own children did not die in vein.

Last edited:
If the gun is illegal then it is by definition more difficult to get. An honest law abiding citizen shouldn't need a gun. And just how the hell does shooting someone relate to theft of a car? Granted both is essentially stealing, in one case a life, in other material property.

Also over the years I have become sick of people justifying the deaths of children in the US with the second amendment. How many more have to die before you realize that a seemingly large population of your nation have neither the respect nor discipline to be permitted access to such weapons.

If the second amendment is to remain then I believe the US should also enact compulsory military service for all citizens. Ideally this would teach them the respect and discipline necessary and also help to a degree weed out the people who should have no access to these objects.

If the gun is illegal then it is by definition more difficult to get. An honest law abiding citizen shouldn't need a gun. And just how the hell does shooting someone relate to theft of a car? Granted both is essentially stealing, in one case a life, in other material property.

Also over the years I have become sick of people justifying the deaths of children in the US with the second amendment. How many more have to die before you realize that a seemingly large population of your nation have neither the respect nor discipline to be permitted access to such weapons.

If the second amendment is to remain then I believe the US should also enact compulsory military service for all citizens. Ideally this would teach them the respect and discipline necessary and also help to a degree weed out the people who should have no access to these objects.

In the UK, bears are non existent as a public threat. I have been close enough to smell a bear.

In the UK, mountain lions are non existent as a public threat. I have had dogs and other pets torn up by them.

There are many more instances where things that don't exist in your world are common place in mine. If while hiking a bear decides that my family is tasty, a cell phone, Ipod, website, or words will not stop the bear. A bullet will.

You must judge each according to their background. I feel the need to have a lethal weapon for good reasons, but the down side is that a moron is also protected by that same right that allows me to have what I need.

No guns is absurd, unless you want to kill all the dangerous wildlife that we have fought so hard to protect, and enjoy when we minimally invade their space.

So there was a bomb threat at the U of M today...

At least I now get more time to study for a midterm I wasn't anywhere near prepared for :p

So did you guys know that the Virginia Tech shooter called the police for a bomb threat two weeks ago too? He did that to figure out how long it took for them to arrive and what routes they would take.

In the UK, bears are non existent as a public threat. I have been close enough to smell a bear.

In the UK, mountain lions are non existent as a public threat. I have had dogs and other pets torn up by them.

There are many more instances where things that don't exist in your world are common place in mine. If while hiking a bear decides that my family is tasty, a cell phone, Ipod, website, or words will not stop the bear. A bullet will.

You must judge each according to their background. I feel the need to have a lethal weapon for good reasons, but the down side is that a moron is also protected by that same right that allows me to have what I need.

No guns is absurd, unless you want to kill all the dangerous wildlife that we have fought so hard to protect, and enjoy when we minimally invade their space.

In the last 7 years of living in the UK I have seen more wildlife that I ever did in the 6 years I spent living in the US. In both cases I was living mainly in cities or just outside them.

I don't know specifically where in the US you are living, but I am guessing the likelihood of crossing paths with a bear or lion in the average daily life of an american isn't very high.

Certainly if you are living in the more wild areas of the country I could see a need, but I hardly think that requires a "constitutional" right.

The constitution imo and I am likely to piss off a great many people saying this should really be taken more like a list of suggestions for legislation rather than the third testament of the bible.

In the last 7 years of living in the UK I have seen more wildlife that I ever did in the 6 years I spent living in the US. In both cases I was living mainly in cities or just outside them.

I don't know specifically where in the US you are living, but I am guessing the likelihood of crossing paths with a bear or lion in the average daily life of an american isn't very high.

Certainly if you are living in the more wild areas of the country I could see a need, but I hardly think that requires a "constitutional" right.

The constitution imo and I am likely to piss off a great many people saying this should really be taken more like a list of suggestions for legislation rather than the third testament of the bible.

geffy, when a person uses the excuse; "to kill a lion or bear that might attack me" it's nothing but transparent rubbish that works only on themselves...not too may people are killed in America from a lion or bear because they didn't have a pistol in their pocket

people like myself find the constitution a perfect document BECAUSE we can change it..in any event it is the law of the land and when there are laws that need to be changed the constitution provides for that change

the constitution IS a list of suggestions that have become law, those laws can be changed too...that's why there are amendments, the constitution is a living document of our law...it''s not a shopping list to pick and choose...it is law...if a law becomes untenable the constitution can easily be changed..in addition if the jury thinks a law shouldn't apply it's withing their ability to judge the law as well as the person charged with that law

now, as far as this discussion with these shootings;

it took me a while to click this thread, events like this are pretty painful to me...I was hoping this thread would be some kind of tribute and remembrance but now I see it's evolved into political debate

kind of crazy a thread talking about this travesty turned into a political discussion but here it is

teh second amendment to the constitution said:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

the reason the amendment is there is clear, it's not for hunting, it's not for personal protection, it's not to "kill bears" and it's not to "kill lions" and contrary to anything gun lobbyists tell you, the amendment is NOT there so you can protect your property, your wife, your kids.

the amendment is there so the state can keep it's own REGULATED militia, it's clear as day, the amendment states in plain language it's a REGULATED constitutional right

that purpose is satisfied without letting people keep nuclear bombs which are of course REGULATED away from personal ownership as the amendment provides (of course I think there might actually be some nuts that will argue this point but they are after all nuts)

the right of "the people" in this amendment does not read "the right of each person", it does not read "the right of A person", it reads "the right of the people"

then to make it crystal clear the constitution tells us in with unmitigated language why that amendment is there and that the right IS REGULATED

there are some people that think they can twist the meaning of the constitutional amendment to suit their fetish for blowing things up but they are what they are

the constitutional right to keep and bare arms has a storied history but it's clear there are arms that are not protected..."to keep and bare arms" doesn't mean you can keep a nuclear bomb, a flame thrower, ballistic missiles, a chemical cache, nor a host of arms that are clearly excluded from this "constitutional right"

the only thing that MIGHT not excluded by the amendment is "a gun"

this doesn not mean any gun, it does not mean a pistol, it means a gun

you can keep a gun, the government can and should regulate any guns that are clearly a public threat so long as you get to keep some form of gun, the amendment CLEARLY states this amendment is for a REGULATED malitia...simple stuff here guys

for instance, who would argue that a "gun" that shot nuclear waste is excluded by this constitutional amendment?...show me a person that thinks ownership of a gun that shot nuclear waste is constitutionally protected and I'll show you a moron...the very same "regulation" easily excludes pistols, machine guns, flame throwers, nuclear bombs, etc

that's why single shot rifles should never be excluded but there is no question the government can and should exclude certain "arms" and everyone agrees with this

there's no reason to carry a pistol for the sake of lions or bears Geffy, that's gun lobby talk and that's all it is

don't get the wrong idea here, though I am usually a liberal I am probably more on the Conservative side of the fence when it comes to guns...but there are people that are so insecure about their point of view they make things up to justify their opinion

most people that go to these areas carry their rifle, CERTAINLY someone who thinks they need a pistol would take their rifle if they couldn't get a pistol

this discussion needs to be broken up into two threads, one a tribute and remembrance and the second in hard talk about gun control

your decision Geffy, I'm a little too subjective to be involved in this discussion

have a good day guys

Last edited:

ummm you missed the point ... simply put ..if someone wants to break a law... then OBVIOUSLY the law does not matter. Do you think a murderer cares that murder is against the law?

Go on with your dopey antics of not being allowed to have a gun ..and see how many criminals still have them ...because they care not about the very law you speak of.

there are an estimated 250million guns in our country ..not including what our military has. there is no way on earth the government would ever ever ever get all the guns back ..EVER.

So ..for every one of the people that still have "illegal guns" ..that means they can patrol into say ..a school...and blast away knowing ..that no one else could ever possibly defend theirselves.

Guns don't kill people ..people kill people. If it weren't for guns .. then there would be swords ..or knives ... but oh wait ..bombs are illegal arent they ..look at good ol timothy mcvey ..think he cared about laws?

THere will always be some schmuck that is the exception to the rule ... and taking away guns will NEVER happen ..there are too many people for it ...and as they say ..in a democracy ..majority rules.

so ..that leaves 2 options ..forget about even trying to bring your rationale of no guns to people like me that have been around them our entire lives (did you forget about the vast majority of our nations people still live in what we would consider "RURAL" towns).

Or... people like you and me can be rational civilized adults and maybe compromise. I promise sir ... i will NEVER EVER give up my right to carry a gun because some schmuck in some city thinks its a good idea ..or because of some asshat like this korean that killed all these people in Virginia that was never spanked as a kid ...that had no respect for even himself.

So what does that leave .... you can certainly give everyone guns ..much like they have tried and SUCCEEDED in texas ... with murder, rape, carjacking, and just about every other gun related crime has dramatically dropped since its inception ...along with its express lane death penalty ...

Or ..i guess we could talk about how bad of a country we have ..and feel bad about the criminals ..and how they didn't get a fair shake in life ..or how they did it because of some song they heard ... or maybe because their water wasn't cold enough ...

I'm tired of excuses ..I'm tired of spin ..and quite frankly ..its appalling that people would use this tragedy to encroach on my rights as a law abiding US Citizen.

There needs to be some real background check for guns before purchasing ...maybe even a comprehensive psych evaluation/battery. Then maybe a supplemental every so many years ...and they need to make storing guns a bigger responsibility ... as to where if a gun was stolen ... why was it even possible to be stolen sort of thing.

At the same time ..onces this evaluation is over ..then you can have open access to whatever gun you want to have ..within reason ... as in no ak-47 autos ... no 4million round magazines ...ect ect.

I own a 50cal bolt action that could whack anything imaginable ..but being a responsible LAW ABIDING citizen ... i know its for target shooting. the best thing any family could do ..is sit and teach their kids about guns ..the power of guns ..the great responsibility they require ..and of course the consequences of being irresponsible with them. Its been proven time and time again that people who grew up around guns are much less likely to break laws with them ...or to even shoot people unless it was in self defense.

Last edited:
Clearly there's something about the US that causes 30,000 deaths a year due to guns.

In Switzerland everybody has guns and their gun related deaths are very low.

In the UK they have very stringent gun laws and their gun related deaths are very low (132 last year).

So is it the US culture? I don't know, but there is something different about the US.

Clearly there's something about the US that causes 30,000 deaths a year due to guns.

So is it the US culture? I don't know, but there is something different about the US.

We kill what we do not understand:)

i agree ... i think people here are just losing respect and honor ..and for what reason i don't know.

i think if you could put a finger on the root cause ..you'd be a zillionaire ...the NRA would worship you ...along with all the politicians ...and even the anti-gun movement.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back