$300 dollar budget

MC82

Procrastinator
ok i know there are so many discusions about video cards out there, but I just cant seem to get the basic jist, if somoene could reccomend the best card with a $300 budget maybe a little more.

I currently have the v-8200 Geforce3 Ti-200 and its about time i upgraded.

I hear x600 XT is that true? what else is there, if people could just give me two choices or so that would be great.

Well, for a very decent card below $300, I'd recommend ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. You can easily flash it to the XT version afterwards (I think; might a slightly different card from the one I mentioned. Can anyone confirm this? >_o). It's a nice addition for a lower price. :D

Anyway, that card supports DX8 and 9 fully and it's decent enough for today and tomorrow games. Doom 3 will even run nicely on that (even though not on high settings), so don't worry about that. ;)

As for the price itself, it's hovering around $200. Just find a good shop. Hint: www.newegg.com if you live in the US. I don't really know any other good non-American shops, though. Somebody else probably does. :p

Edit: Unless you're Dutch, in which case you should go for http://www.pcmegastore.nl or http://www.icomputers.nl :D

Double Edit: German: http://www.bora-computer.de and http://www.computer-cash-carry.de :p

Triple Edit: Forgot one thing. Take the Sapphire brand. :D

Quadruple Edit: Screw it, too many smilies and edits. :p

even though not on high settings

A bit unclear on your meaning here, but it runs fine on High Settings on my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb card.

Best performance would be a Geforce 6800 GT if you can find it for $300.

The 9800 PRO at $199 is the best price performance trade off.

Both will bring tears of joy to your eyes.

wait a coupla days and keep an eye on the front page... then decide... :cool:

chaos945 said:
A bit unclear on your meaning here, but it runs fine on High Settings on my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb card.

I read HardOCP's article on Doom 3. High Settings may work for you, it doesn't mean it'll work for everyone. I mean, everyone has a different PC. For one it might run slow, for others just fine. Experimenting with it never hurts, though. :p

One thing is sure: Ultra High Settings will not exactly work for that card, let alone 6800 GT, because of the lack of 512 MB onboard memory. Anyway, that's not exactly the point of this topic.

Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 Pro is recommended for a good price/performance ratio, especially when you want a card costing below $300. Or... Wait and see what Sazar is talking about. :p

Sazar said:
wait a coupla days and keep an eye on the front page... then decide... :cool:
what am I looking for?

thanks all that gave input, i will consider the 9800 Pro

how much is the xt800 isnt it around 400?

it's not really worth it to get the 9800pro anymore, unless you can find it for significantly less than $300.
If your budget is $300 and do not mind spending it all, you should probably go with a 6800 regular, or drop in some more cash for the superior 6800GT / X800Pro.
(I personally would choose 6800GT since it comes with 16 pipelines, and X800pro comes with 12 and 4 locked -- chance of unlocking, but needs mod.)
(more pipeline is not always better though... 6800GT does perform around X800Pro at stock speeds)

:p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back