3 Major problems with my Win XP pro

A

AlphA_ExT

I'll try to make this as short as possible. I'll start with my major problem first and which happens everysingle time I install win xp pro on my comp. I tried partioning and formating numerous times with no luck. This is the problem I still have since I last full clean installed xp pro. I get this following error message when I try to run chkdsk with automatically fix errors option checked or just right clicking and choosing to run disk checker on my hard-drive:
the pic below... The second problem i have is my shut down process takes twice as long and sometimes even 3 times as long as bootup. When I cold boot on average it takes about 12 seconds to get to my desktop. When I try to shut down or just trying to reboot it feels like it takes forever. I know that it some kind of a problem because before I never had this before. My computer would just reboot or shut down in half the time or at least in about that amount of time. And the third one is the most recent one...it happened just today. I just downloaded something and when I want to install it, it gets to the point where the bar and the percentage shows how much is installed never gets past zero. It just freezes there on the spot. Same thing happened with everything else I try to install. It gets past the extracting filez to temp folders and stuff like that and it gets to the wizard and I choose where the files should be installed and then it gets to of how much is completed and freezes. This really sucks and I'm really sorry if this post is so long. I tried fixing the first problems many times and I couldn't. Even tried posting on ms's site but no luck there either. People tell me to do chkdsk /f to lock the drive and it still doesn't work.
Btw, I just uninstalled go back today if has anything to do with anything at all. I just think it affected the third problem. That's just my opinion. Please help...

sorry didn't include my specs

they are p4 2.0 1gig of ram 40 gig maxtor hard drive ge force 3

For problem #1:
All files must be closed for this process to run. If the volume is currently in use, a message box will appear prompting you to indicate whether you want to reschedule the disk checking for the next time you restart your system. The next time you restart your system, disk checking will run. Your volume will not be available to perform other tasks while this process is running.

thnx for the reply

hmm... i think i was screwing around with tweak xp hung app times and everything... thnx for the help

that's true but...

yes that's very true what you said... it would check my stuff on during boot up but then i can't defrag while booting or can i?
that's the whole problem. and sometimes i don't even know if it really fixed the errors on the drive. and win xp when i try defraging my drive i still can't... and that's not very good. the wierd thing is this.. this is what I've noticed so far since Ive reinstalled win xp about a dozen times. I can perfectly check for errors in windows mode right after installation but after i install something or even change anything it automatically that gives me same thing again and again.

also tried killing all the processes

tried that too. Tried to boot up with as little processes in the background as possible and then even terminated some more. No luck. btw, ms's knowledge base didnt' even help a bit.
thnx

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back