3 machines without HUB?

I

= Indy =

I currently have 2 PC's set up for internet sharing. XP Pro (client)
(Win2000 Pro ICS Server).
I am using a cat5 crossover cable to connect. (NIC to NIC).
It all works very well, but I am considering adding another PC to the network. I have a spare NIC and was wondering if there is any way I can make the Win2k box use 2 NIC's for ICS, and connect the 3rd machine via NIC to NIC as well? (without the need for a hub)
Is there a way of making both NIC's in the server use the ip address 192.168.0.1? thus sharing the connection. Can it be done another way?
Or do i basically have to splash the cash and buy a switch/hub or dual port NIC?

Cheers.

Originally posted by = Indy =
I am using a cat5 crossover cable to connect. (NIC to NIC).
It all works very well, but I am considering adding another PC to the network. I have a spare NIC and was wondering if there is any way I can make the Win2k box use 2 NIC's for ICS, and connect the 3rd machine via NIC to NIC as well? (without the need for a hub)
Yes I think so. Bridge the NICs in Windows to make the clients communicate with eachother.
Is there a way of making both NIC's in the server use the ip address 192.168.0.1? thus sharing the connection.
Maybe. Should work. Depends on how flexible ICS is really.
Can it be done another way?
Two IPs? But then maybe ICS doesn't care about one of the NICs.
Or do i basically have to splash the cash and buy a switch/hub or dual port NIC?
Maybe ;)
Report back on progress, especially successful progress. Would be interesting to know if it works.

I too am wondering if this will work. I should try it as well..

hmmm, not sure. Bridging is a new feature to XP, I don't think it's in 2K.

have the 2 nic cards in the 2000 computer
set the two cards and computers on different subnets and they will work
but the the two clients won't be able to see each other that way

Thanks for your responses.

A switch would seem the easiest route to go, but I will experiment with the 2 NIC's idea an see what happens!
I just want the two clients to share the adsl connection. Im not bothered about them seeing each other. :)

Originally posted by = Indy =
I just want the two clients to share the adsl connection. Im not bothered about them seeing each other. :)
Then it should work if ICS can cope with it.

I have 3 systems running through an internal house cabling setup. cat 5 connectors in 3 rooms, no hub...don't ask me how i did it...it was not easy.

we did this at our apartment, me and my room mates... have to set 2 nics into one of your machines, designate this the server, and make sure it is the fastest/most powerful machine you have, because there is a performance hit and slower machines gave slower connections online for us...

basically what happens is that the server is the gateway machine to the net, you only ever use one ip to connect to the web (have to designate ip's to each pc connected to the network so they recognize each other) and you can set up as many computers as you have spaces on your hub...

now... I totally agree with a post before mine... get a router, which will function as the said server, and forget all about this HUB business... routers will get you faster speeds AND they have a built-in firewall AND they save you mucho time...

thats what we did... we said sod off all you nasty hub business... haloo you lubly-jubly router...

TRUST ME... you'll be so much happier... and you have to worry bout nothing concerning ip's and blah blah blah coz you will only be using the one...

:D g.luck

Originally posted by sazar99
AND they have a built-in firewall
Most of the don't actually. Very few do and they cost more. Sure they call it "Broadband Firewall" or something, but they're referring to the NAT system. Sure it protects a bit but that doesn't make it a firewall. Look for the keywords "DoS attack protection" or "packet filtering" to get a router with real firewall functions.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back