3 CD/DVD ROMS attached to 1 IDE Channel?

D

Dlovely

Is there a way I can connect 3 Drives to 1 IDE Cable? I have a 1. DVD-rom 2.DVD-R/R 3.CD/RW and i'd like to have all go at the same time considering I have 4 face plate slots. There must be someway to do it right?

Thanks in advance.

if theres a way, i would like to know about it :D

I got 3 hard drives you see.. and i need a 4th one :rolleyes:

Space isnt enough these days :p hehe

Sincerly Alex

:cool:

this is what I use
Promise TX2 Ultra ATA133 x4 channel IDE Controller PCI

16318.jpg

Originally posted by [CpK]Bastid
You would need a 3 device/4 connector ide cable.....

somethin like this

Hey, seems good ! Does it really work ? How does the system (bios + Windows) support it ? Do you know the pricing ( because I didn't want to sign in just for this info ) ?

Originally posted by Ant -|- One
Hey, seems good ! Does it really work ? How does the system (bios + Windows) support it ? Do you know the pricing ( because I didn't want to sign in just for this info ) ?

dunno, just searched for it for the thread starter....i like keepin everything on separate channels when possible

If you notice that link... it clearly states... "Hard Drive Round Cable for 2 Drive" It is not possible to have more than 2 devices on IDE. Sorry. I do have 4 IDE connectors on my MB though, which allows for 8 IDE devices, all running simotaneously. Good luck!

Your only options are 1. Get a new motherboard with more IDE slots
or
2. Get a PCI IDE controller card like TwoZigZag mentioned.

No. No. No.

You can ONLY have 2 IDE devices on each channel (1x Master & 1x Slave)

Most motherboards integrate a controller that has 2 channels (Primary & Secondary) allowing upto 4 devices.

Ways round it are:

1. Integrated RAID controller (Abit AT7 MAX2 as an example)
2. ATA expansion card (as seen above)
3. SCSI

1&2 simply provide more channels. As for SCSI - not my area :(

Good Luck

so what do you think is the best thing to use to have more IDE connectors.. without getting a new Motherboard as being one of the options? :confused:

Thank you for your help and time

sincerly Alex :cool:

I have a Asus P4PE that supports raid but i have no idea how to put on 2 hard drives and 3 CD/CDRW Devices and connect them. I should just buy that Promise controller and it should theoretically make my life easier. I guess from there i would just hook up the extra drive to that? being that the other 2 drives are on my 1 IDE.

thanks for the advice fellas

asus-p4pe-board_3d.jpg

assuming thats your board i think its correct...

you can use the raid channel as a single ide channel, allowing you to connect a fifth device....

example....ide 1: master hdd/slave hdd
ide 2: cdrom/cdrw
asus-p4pe-raid2.jpg

ide 3(on the right edge of mobo): cdr

I've used raid channels as regular ide channels b4 on my kt400 mobo........it might be possible that u could do the same

I would agree with Two Zigzag, on the ATA 133 controller card .
I run a DVD/Zip/2x H/Drives on IDE Channels.
So the ATA 133 maintains required speed for a separate DVD/RW+ drive.

Chaintech mobo
AMD 2200+
512Mb Ram
40 GB+30 GB H/ Drives

Originally posted by Alex_is_Axel
so what do you think is the best thing to use to have more IDE connectors.. without getting a new Motherboard as being one of the options? :confused:
Get a IDE controller card. That's the only way except a new mobo.

you have more than 6 drives total, dlovely? you have 3 channels, correct?

I have 3 CD/DVD/CD-RW drives, and I have 2 HDD. 5 total things i need to run. Currently I disconnected my DVD burner and just use my DVD-ROM and CD-RW but I get sick of disconnecting 1 to get the other to work. Luckily I have a easy Chieftec colored case to open the side door but I know there must be a way of doing it like described above. I don't know how to do the Raid way like that guy said so I think the promise controller seems best. They have an OEM one at Newegg.com for @ $35 which seems reasonable to me. I'd love to run raid hard drives and IDE CD/dvd drives but I don't know if its possible or if I'd even see a performance gain from that.

no need to run a raid setup....

it would work as a normal ide channel if u dont setup raid...that would be where u could connect your fifth device

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back