2xAGP mobo/4x-8xAGP card

dubstar

format c:
if the mobo is only 2xAGP, would that slow down a 4xAGP card into producing worse results? I know its a bottle neck, but is it a big bottle neck? I plan on playing games like Simcity 4 and Diablo II, and want good FPS with very respectable images.

depends on th rest of the system, but i can tell you there isn't even that big of a difference between 2x and 4x. back when i had my gf2 gts 64mb and 1.4ghz athlon, i ran in both modes and only missed out on a whopping 50 3dmarks when in agp2x mode.

but if you have a major system and get 10,000+ 3dmarks, then you'll see a bigger gap between 2x and 4x. but 2x will still be playable, i assure you.

550mhz Athlon.. 256mb ram. is it worth moving from a tnt2 64, to a 9500ATI? or should i put my money into a Mobo/ram/cpu, and chill on the gfx card?

If you bought the ATI 9500, then the cpu would probably be a larger bottleneck than agp x2. You would get better peformance than the TNT2, but the card would be nowhere near its full potential. then again, if you spend money on the cpu/mobo, then the tnt2 is going to be the bottleneck. itd be best to upgrade everything/buy new comp if you can afford it.

Originally posted by dubstar
550mhz Athlon.. 256mb ram. is it worth moving from a tnt2 64, to a 9500ATI? or should i put my money into a Mobo/ram/cpu, and chill on the gfx card?

go with the latter option..

that cpu is not going to allow you to run games much faster than you are currently...

i know that tnt2 m64 is total garbage. :( if it was at least a tnt2 ultra, it would be okay.

honestly, even though i know it's hard to do, i would save up and basically buy all new components at once. mobo, cpu, ram, video card, and power supply (?). you can use your old drives and case for a while afterwards until you save up again to upgrade those. and once you do that, you put your old components back together and have 2 comps. :)

Originally posted by taurus
i know that tnt2 m64 is total garbage. :( if it was at least a tnt2 ultra, it would be okay.

honestly, even though i know it's hard to do, i would save up and basically buy all new components at once. mobo, cpu, ram, video card, and power supply (?). you can use your old drives and case for a while afterwards until you save up again to upgrade those. and once you do that, you put your old components back together and have 2 comps. :)

he can do quite well with a new cpu...

you can play even modern games with old video cards using low resolutions and turning off many effects... you may be surprised :)

as long as the cpu and other things are pushed higher... :)

video cards nowadays for a good one does cost more than cpu/memory/case togeter.... depending on which one you get...

yeah, he could run all his nerwer games at 640x480 or lower. if he doesn't want to save up for everything, i would have to say upgrade his mobo/cpu/memory first. but then he'll probably have to get a new power supply, too.

OK, this is bad advice to the dedicated speed freaks and gamers on hear (me included) but since your system is limited across the board and budget is a problem consider this option:

Find an nvidia chipset MB with built in graphics. The faster processor, chipset and MX series graphics will boost your performance overall. You should be able to do this for the price of a 9500 Pro card. Then latter when money becomes available you can upgrade to an add in gaming card, better processor, etc (whatever is a good choice then). Just make sure the MB has an AGP slot.

BTW keep in mind the memory type you have available in your system and the case style and power supply size. As old as that system sounds it could have DIMMs, 150W AT style power supply and case.

OK, NOW EVERYONE LAY INTO ME FOR SUGGESTING BUILT IN GRAPHICS!

:eek:

actually leejend, your advice was good. built-in mx-equivalent video would be considerably better than what he has now. and it's only a $10-20 premium over non-video nforce2 boards.

the only thing with that, is he still would have to buy new memory, cpu (dubstar, you do have a slot A still, right?), and probably a power supply then.

i don't think he can find a decent solution without spending a small chunk of money.

Originally posted by Dexter
How do i know what fast my agp is?
anyone

your bios should be the place to look... since you can... at least on my board... specify what speed to use :)

alternatively I am assuming a program such as sisoft sandra can give you the information about your agp :)

dub/taurus

I've seen barebones systems (case, PS, MB w/built in vid, proc, 128 RAM) for $200 locally and on the web. A buddy of mine sells these as a side business and built 1 for each of his kids.

Found it: http://www.pcusa.com/
KIT-13: AMD Duron CPU w/ Mothreboard Combo
- Qty. 1, AMD DURON 1100MHz CPU
- Qty. 1, 333 MHz FSB: MSI K7N2G-L, NF2, Dual-DDR400, AGP 8X w/Video, Audio, LAN
- Qty. 1, ThermalTake Volcano 8
- Qty. 1, 256 MB DDR / 266 MHz RAM
ATX, MID TOWER w/ 300W PS, w/ 2nd Fan
[ Item #.: CS-ATXMID300W
Total $206 (about the same as a 9500 Pro

$285 for whole system w/same MB (no OS). About the cost of a 9700 Pro.

Here's link to MB http://www.msicomputer.com/product/chipset.asp?chipset=nvidia

Not a bad MB, very upgradable. Get a descent power supply when you start upgrading. And don't go for the Athlon 1333 upgrade the chip is a power pig! I had one.

Originally posted by LeeJend
dub/taurus

I've seen barebones systems (case, PS, MB w/built in vid, proc, 128 RAM) for $200 locally and on the web. A buddy of mine sells these as a side business and built 1 for each of his kids.

Found it: http://www.pcusa.com/
KIT-13: AMD Duron CPU w/ Mothreboard Combo
- Qty. 1, AMD DURON 1100MHz CPU
- Qty. 1, 333 MHz FSB: MSI K7N2G-L, NF2, Dual-DDR400, AGP 8X w/Video, Audio, LAN
- Qty. 1, ThermalTake Volcano 8
- Qty. 1, 256 MB DDR / 266 MHz RAM
ATX, MID TOWER w/ 300W PS, w/ 2nd Fan
[ Item #.: CS-ATXMID300W
Total $206 (about the same as a 9500 Pro

$285 for whole system w/same MB (no OS). About the cost of a 9700 Pro.

Here's link to MB http://www.msicomputer.com/product/chipset.asp?chipset=nvidia

Not a bad MB, very upgradable. Get a descent power supply when you start upgrading. And don't go for the Athlon 1333 upgrade the chip is a power pig! I had one.

wow thanks all, but about this $285 full system deal. (i have XP on cd :) ).. Its been my experience not to deal with Celerons or Durons.. they are really slow arent they? My mothers 1.4 Celeron is slower than my 550 Athlon. (slot a baby!) I'll look into that motherboard, see what i can max it out at. I wouldnt mind a 1800+ or something around there. I mean, if im gonna upgrade.. im gonna atleast get something 3 times better, especially since todays technology is 6(or more) times better

for a little over $200, the barebones system is a pretty decent deal. that cost pretty much equates to the motherboard, memory, and case w/ power supply. then throw in a decent heatsink and capable duron and it's pretty good.

the duron isn't that slow. much faster than the celeron, that's for sure. but the best part about it is how cheap it is on the market. not to mention you can go and order a 2200+ (~$70) for example and slap it in. but i bet you'd be pretty surprised with what the duron can do.

Just to say tho, my Graphics Card which is an 8x Was Apparantly Guaranteed to work in my old 4x slot, but it didnt cos my Bios Flash or something couldnt keep up with it so i was gettin like 2fps on OLD GAMEs!! LOL
So in the End i just BRought a new System LOL

i really like the features on the K7N2G-L, seems like its just as good as the A7N8X to me. I decided to pinch my pennys and buy it all at the same time. I'll probably get it cheaper too, waiting to save up, and price drops.:)

I have an Athlon xp 1800 thoro. revision b core i will sell for 40$ want the 2500 Barton core

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back