2x256MB DDR vs 2x512MB DDR

Impulse4life

Windows Perfectionist
Hello

I'm about to purchase a dual channel kit of OCZ PC3200-EL EBPlatinum and I was just wondering really if I would find a very significant difference in my machine if I bought the 2x256 or the 2x512. Basicly what Im looking at is weather or not the performance increase is worth the extra $208CA ($159US) or not? What do you guys think?

I'm running a P4 3.0 w/800fsb and dual channel ram by the way

Thanks
Jamie

i'm not entirely sure to be honest. right now i'm running i think it's 2 sticks of Kingston DDR400 256MB on dual channel. Either way it would beat out using only one stick of 256 or 512. if you plan on doing a whole lot of online gaming or anything uber resource heavy, then i'd say the 2 sticks of 512.

Bus is 800MHz (PC3200 = 2*(200MHz*2)) on dual channel, same bus on 2x256mb and 2x512mb, same RAM access rates, same speeds.

More RAM = More programs stored in memory = Faster

I bid for the 2x512mb can't ever get enough RAM I say (that is Windows can't get enough RAM...), I can't stand a system with much less than 1gb running winXP.

Prices can vary with the CAS rating of the RAM as well, the lower the CAS the better the RAM. Read more about CAS...

Go with the 512's for sure if you are into gaming, graphics work etc. or leave a lot of applications open all the time. If not you can get by with the 256's.

I needed 768 to run BF1942 smoothly and 1 gig would be nice now that I'm into UT2004. I lock up for a couple seconds when the game has to pull textures off the HD.

UT2004? that doesn't need THAT much. i'm on Dual channel DDR400 512MB total, GeForceFX 5700, P4 2.4 OC'd to 3.0, and i have every setting as high as it can go at i think 1024x768 and running like butter.

I'd get 512MB ram then save up for a 10,000RPM hard drive :D

desie said:
I'd get 512MB ram then save up for a 1000RPM hard drive :D

It'd be very interesting if there's even a 1,000 RPM HDD around at this time. xD *patpats* :p

well it all depends what ur going to be running. i actaully think u don't even need the 2x512. cuz i was using 2x256 and it ran halo and UT perfectly. and it ran doom3 decently

desie said:
- a 10, 000RPM hard drive :D

I think I'd still rather have dual SATA drives on a RAID array, especially with the new SATA300 drives coming out. :D

if you can afford it go for the 2x512...you never ever ever can have too much memory...especially if you have a mid to low end graphics card the memory will help that card be "faster" (not really It will just seem faster)

agrees, RAM is like money, more is better

Well, from what I've seen is a lot of people like to have the 256MB x 2 because sometimes limiting the amount will force your computer to be more productive with the processor and whatnot.

Almost like saying if you have more ram, your computer becomes lazy because it has more options to store data.

I know that's a very odd way of looking at it, but It's fairly similar to the Xeon and it's use of DDR2700 chips and HT.

Doesn't make sense? Programs are run from memory, the more you have the better.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back