2x1GB + 2x1GB = BSOD

Glass

sgàthan ìnnleachd
I have 4x1GB DDR2-6400 Crucial Ballistix RAM modules. If I only use 2x1GB at a time, everything works fine, but when I add all of them to the system, it will hang at the BIOS loading screen or Windows will BSOD immediately after boot with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Originally I thought one of the modules was bad, so after verifying one set of 2 was working, I swapped for the other set, and they worked fine as well, but add all 4, and it no longer works. System specs are in sig. Any ideas?

Windows 32 Bit acts exceedingly randomly when using more than 3GB of RAM.

To effectively use 4GB you will need XP64 or Vista 64.

Interesting. That doesn't account for hanging at the initial BIOS screen though. I went ahead and moved over to the other set of DIMM slots on the motherboard, no changes. Asus has a "Qualified Vendor List" of compatible RAM, and this particular model is not on it, so I will probably go with an EVGA 680i and see if it's any better.

The fact that both sets of 2 work when alone shows that the ram is working with your motherboard. I think you need to understand what was said your not going to be able to use 4 gigs with 32bit windows ..dont matter what motherboard you use.

Ja, I'm leaving it at 3GB for now until a DX10 only game forces me to use Vista, it was just the hanging at the BIOS that really concerned me. I would go the XP64 route but a lot of stuff won't run, specifically a decent firewall.

If it's hanging at the BIOS stage, you might want to review your settings for your memory and CPU. Try running all the settings at default and see what happens when you boot up. Tweak it at a later stage if you think you need to make minor adjustments.

As ming said, perhaps try checking and changing the memory from 1T to 2T in bios. I have all four banks full, and I have to set it to 2T to even boot.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back