2TB Hard Drive

don't put any vital data on it if you do buy it. the data density is such that it is constantly correcting data corruption. you will loose data on a 2TB driver much sooner than on a 500GB or less drive.

I'd say check online for reviews, but looking at that eBay posting they don't list a model number anywhere.... so yeah I'd say skip it.

It would be for media, fairly longterm.

It's the only 2TB drive from Hitachi. I agree, I want it, but too scared to trust it.

And are you talking about any large drive lord? I have been using my 2 1TB drives like crazy, maxed out, copying, deleting, etc. For over a year now, they are fine.

Is a 2TB Hitachi drive for sale on newegg right now ($10 more but free shipping), but has serveral mentions of DOA drives. I myself am torn over these large drives, so much storage, but so much lost data should one go.

I need more space for my media. 1TB is maxed out right now.

I could buy another 1TB, but no RAID setup is good for that. And I don't got a drobo lol

I have two 1 TB and one 1.5TB WD Green drives on media servers with no issues. The oldest is 16 months old. Avoid the Black, it is hotter and noisier.

The price on the 1.5 TB has dropped drastically and I've seen it under $100 USD.

Avoid the Hitachi and Seagate TB+ drives. Lots of infant mortality or DOA compared to WD based on custoemr comments.

Be warned the 1.5 TB is only about 450 GB bigger than 1 GB.

Last edited:
I have two 1 TB and one 1.5TB WD Green drives on media servers with no issues. The oldest is 16 months old. Avoid the Black, it is hotter and noisier.

The price on the 1.5 TB has dropped drastically and I've seen it under $100 USD.

Avoid the Hitachi and Seagate TB+ drives. Lots of infant mortality or DOA compared to WD based on custoemr comments.

Be warned the 1.5 TB is only about 450 MB bigger than 1 GB.

I hope your wrong about the Seagate 1.5TB drives, I bought one last week.

Be warned the 1.5 TB is only about 450 MB bigger than 1 GB.

How can a 1.5TB be only 450MB bigger then 1TB. It should be 400GB or so bigger.

Sorry typo. I meant 450 GB. Blame it on new year's partying...

I only mentioned it because I was put out that the 1.5 GB was only ~1.38 GB compared to the 0.93 GB on the 1 TB. That's close to 10% less than named capacity which is really getting annoying.

Android - you are probably fine.
Last time I did a comparison the Seagates were maybe 10% more failure prone than the WD. So 9 chances out of 10 your drive will be fine. It's just on new drive buys I prefer not to risk the hassles so I always pick the most reliable drive. A co-worker bought one of the Seagates a few weeks before Christmas and he has not mentioned any problems.

I have 2 of the SAMSUNG HD103UJ drives but I can't seem to find them anymore, or at least not for 80-90 bucks. These drives are amazing, fastest of the bunch, plus I have had no issues with them at all.

And on this page

http://pccyber.com/?v=product&i=HD-WD20EADS

They say 5400-7200RPM. What the heck does that mean? Which is it..

Last edited by a moderator:
In terms of a 2TB drive.

How much of a difference is 5400 to 7200 RPM really? Mind you, I find my (faster then most) 7200RPM drives slow.

when buying a hard drive its always better to go for a safe choice

the 2tb caviar green is around 25% more.. is that too much?

u can always buy more 1tb ones :D or maybe a tb one and a 1.5tb

Is there away to setup a raid if one of the drives is already being used? I would think not. That is the issue. The only way a 1TB drive would be useful if it was combined with another 1TB.

I think I would still rather have a couple of 1tb drives in raid than have a 2tb. I been hearing some bad things about them also ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back