2nd computer always locks up.....

J

JeremyT

Hi.

I have 2 computers networked via 2 of the EXACT SAME 10/100 ethernet cards. My main computer (well call it comp1) that I use to connect and share my ISP is perfectly fine, I have absolutely no problems with it, couldn't be happier. The other computer(comp2) on the other hand has had nothing but trouble.

It locks up all the time when the network is connected. I can pull the plug and it's just fine, so I KNOW it's something with the network. I can use it fine to play games like Unreal Tournament. I have noticed it locking up the most while it is either browsing the internet or trying to move a file from comp1.

I have read dozens of posts and FAQ etc.. trying to figure out the problem, but I have read nothing that helps, I am BEGGING someone to help me, it's driving me insane.

BTW, I switched the cards around in the comps to make sure I didn't have a bad card but the same thing happens soooooo....

Help is VERY VERY much appreciated
-JeremyT

Have you made sure that your using CAT Crossover cable and not just normal cat 5 between the NIC cards? that can cause lockups in some cases.

It's probably just a faulty NIC. Those things are mass produced so cheaply, and ANYTHING can cause them to go bad.

That's what I thought at first was the problem also but I've tried different cards and they've all done the same thing. It's something else. BTW, it's been locking up no matter what i'm doing now...

-JeremyT

i would remove all protocols (netbeui and ipx/spx) and leave TCP/IP running only and setup 1st pc ip addy 192.168.0.1 and second pc ip addy 192.168.0.2 then setup Gateway on 2nd pc 192.168.0.1.

and at a guess are you running WinME at all?

also check any firewall software and if u have ever installed wingate .... all these will cause lockups in certain circumstances!

also if you can (i know Win2K has a taskbar icon) but check to make sure you are running at 100Mbps as well!

hope this helps

computers are NOT stupid ... the problem is generally between the screen and the chair! (cept in my case) :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back