2mb buffer vs 8mb buffer

S

silky62678

Is there a noticable differnece in 2mb buffer vs 8mb. I dont mean per reviews or tests, i mean real life notice difference ?

Originally posted by silky62678
Is there a noticable differnece in 2mb buffer vs 8mb. I dont mean per reviews or tests, i mean real life notice difference ?

not much... you may notice a little speed bump but with computers as fast as they are now... it is unliekly to give you a real world advantage that you will notice in real time applications...

I haven't noticed any major differences, except in a few tests.

But in speed... it is the closest an IDE will come to a SCSI, but far from the access time though....

You will only see a difference if you are using the 8mb cache drive for your operating system, pagefile, or common use programs.

I went from a 2mb Maxtor 7200 rpm 40 gb drive to a
8mb Western Digital 7200 rpm 100 gb drive and it shaved about 10-15 seconds off my windows loading time on a restart.

Demanding games seem to load faster, but I haven't clocked them to make sure.

It will make a difference, but how noticable will vary. With current drive prices, there shouldn't be much of a price difference between the two. I say go for 8mb cache.

True.. I agree.

Windows kicks off faster, and games too...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back