250W power supply enough?

N

nomiophy

i'm going to be buying a leadtek geforce4 ti4400, and i'm wondering if 250W will be enough to power that as well as:

40x cdrom drive
10/4/32 cdrw
d-link 10/100 ethernet card
floppy drive
40gb 7200rpm maxtor hd
sblive value
512mb pc-133 sdram
p3 800mhz
chassis fan
cpu heatsink and fan
etc

right now the video card is an ati rage 128 pro (you can see why i'm replacing it lol), and it all works fine with 250W... if i need to upgrade, i will, but i'm wondering if i will need to or not, or if i should anyway

it should work but just to be on safe side you should upgrade....bigger the better:)

YES

i have a similar system P3 850mhz with g4 and it works fine,, maybe a little higher wattage will keep it more stable though..

You should be fine. Here's a good way to find out if you need to upgrade your power supply... If you turn it on one day and it doesn't boot up, and all the lights are on, you probably need to upgrade.

BTW: If the above happens, turn off the computer by holding the power button until it turns off. Unplug the computer, wait about 10 seconds, plug it back into the wall, and wait about 1 minute. Then turn it on.

Generally, the price between a 250watt and a 300watt are negligble...

I'm sure the extra $15 won't break the bank =P

Originally posted by mbunny
Generally, the price between a 250watt and a 300watt are negligble...

I'm sure the extra $15 won't break the bank =P
Well he allready has the 250W.

Power Sopply

If you're running a P4 processor, which it doesn't sound like you are, you might want to consider swapping out the 250 for something a bit punchier. Between the P4's extra power draw anr the Geforce4, you'll be drawing a lot of juice. I have a lot of stuff going on in my case (lighting, lots of fans etc) so I went with a 400 watt PSU. You could probably do pretty well with a 300. Untill you start Modding that is. ;-)

Wrath

im running:
two fans
duron 900
gf4 mx 440
tv card
cd-rom
hard drive
floppy
network card

on 300w and my computer locks up from time to time which might be because i dont have enough power.

Originally posted by nomiophy
*bump*...
any other opinions on a 250W?
You'll be fine. Most probably.

griabandia:
Someting sounds broken. 300W should be well enough for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back