22kbs on a 56k? true

gillmacca

Macca
I know most of you lot dont agree with this sort of program, but I have a question

I am still living in the past, using a 56k modem (I know I should upgrade, but cannot afford it at the moment), and can usually download at about 4 kb per second.
I use kazza, and have found that sometimes I can download at 20kb per second, and the item downloaded, works fine.
How can I possibly download at 20kb per second on a phone line?
And is there a way of keeping it at this speed all the time (usually lasts for 20-30 mins before slowly down to about 4 or 5 kb)?

Many thanks for any info you can give me

here in North America the FCC blocks phone lines at 49,000 even with a 56k you cant get that ..... as for keeping that kinnda speed on a phoneline 56k modem I dont think its possible

<<<<< same experience - AOL7.0 56k
there is no way of maintaining these speeds there are too many variables.

You can hit peaks at 22 kbytes/s or more with a regular 56k modem. The trick is this: If your ISP support modem compression and you have turned it on, the data will be compressed before it's sent through the phone-line. This means that if you transfer easily compressed files (html files, documents, not MP3:s or images) the effective bandwidth can be much higher than the normal 4-5 kbytes/s.

I feel sorry for youy guys.... AOL is about the worst 56k service you can get. I used to get disconnected every 5 minutes when I used that. But been happy since I got DSL. :D But don't worry you will get broadband sooner or later. ;)

Poor Gillmacca....

I feel for you....I was talking to my brother over there in the UK, and he tells me that BT and other phone co's charge a small fortune for high speed. A total rip-off, as usual. Sucks to live there, that's part of why I moved here to Canada....well actually, I married a beautiful woman really, but still..LOL. ;) :D

(Waves at Kermit, a fellow Montrealan. :D)

GraLk

I live in W.A (Australia) which stands for Wrong Area when it comes to cable/dsl. But if you want to fork out $3000 or so to buy a satellite, have it installed and aimed, even tho you still need a 56k for uploads, then you can enjoy the capped broadband :rolleyes:

I have 2 modems, external V.92's that have a data throughtput(with compression) of 115200 which equals about 13kb/sec. So with these mutilinked( my isp is win, they split the stream and let you mutilink for free) you can get about 28.3 kb/sec on 2 modems.

Pros = good speed for 56ks, connect time of V.92s(about 10 secs), and upstream improvements

Cons = Need 2 phone lines as these can only hold 5k(unless you compress it with another, less stable program) and while the added 'size' goes up that you can download, it doesnt have any affect on online games 'speed' and ping. You will only teleport less :p

Phil...

Have you seen Iinet's new deals, they don't appear too bad or Arach.net packages, not bad either and both cheaper than a satellite...

To answer the original question

It's possible because of fragmented downloads. When you download from Kazaa, you download multiple parts of the same file at the same time from multiple users. Thus, you get more of the file at the same time.

This is how Download Accelerator works.

Originally posted by ReC0iL
I feel sorry for youy guys.... AOL is about the worst 56k service you can get. I used to get disconnected every 5 minutes when I used that. But been happy since I got DSL. :D But don't worry you will get broadband sooner or later. ;)

There are many reasons for loss of connection on 56k dialup, dodgy cable, line noise, incoming calls, line voltage the list goes on. Now thats out the way I use the AOL service & have done on & off for last three years & very rarely get booted maybe once a month. AOL is the only 56k dialup service in the UK that gives truly unlimited access, if I need to download a big file I just leave it running overnight, the other major UK internet service providers Freeserve & British Telecom both BOOT their customers every two hours.

i know this for a fact, that if you are downloading at lets say 20kb sec on a 56k modem then prepair your modem a grave cause its gonner kill it, my old internal modem + external one all cra*ed out and wouldent dial out properly or connectto the isp, after i downloaded soundblaster drivers the download was going at 28kb a sec :O

Originally posted by surge
i know this for a fact, that if you are downloading at lets say 20kb sec on a 56k modem then prepair your modem a grave cause its gonner kill it, my old internal modem + external one all cra*ed out and wouldent dial out properly or connectto the isp, after i downloaded soundblaster drivers the download was going at 28kb a sec :O
thanks for the advice but just because it happens to you does'nt mean its going to happen to every 1 else, of all the things that broke on my last 5 x PCs the modems have never had a problem.
edit
btw line voltage is usually the cause for a dead modem

I doubt this has anything to do with phone lines or dead modems. I think you guys are just getting your bits and your bytes mixed up.

20 KBps (that's kiloBYTES, not bits) = 160 Kbps (that's kiloBITS, eight bits to a byte). Not very likely on a dial-up, even with compression (which you would hardly get much of on Kazaa anyway, since just about anything you'd get would be already compressed in some form).

There's really no standard as to when one or the other is displayed in apps -- generally, bandwidth is counted in bits and storage in bytes, but that's not always the case in all programs.

To make matters worse, a common trend (particularly with hardware manufacturers, where they can seem to sell more for less) is to actually change the "computer value" of 1K (which is actually 1024) to the "metric" value of 1000.

Check the case ... if it's KB, it's bytes; Kb for bits. 20 Kbps is fairly slow for a 56K modem (56 kilobits, although depending on conditions it's really 40-50 for most people). I just took a look at screenshots from Kazaa, and it shows Kb.

IE measures speed in bytes, which is slightly annoying, and adds to most people's confusion. If IE is telling you you're getting 4KBps, that's around 32KBps.

And don't talk about the horrid broadband situation in WA, it's depressing. I'm gonna be moving there sometime in the future, and have spent the past three years being spoiled rotten by my nice American unlimited cable connection. Sure, Telstra has DSL in my area in the southwest, but it costs a small fortune for a fifth of the bandwidth (not to mention the paltry limits -- I'd be selling organs to pay the overage).

i live in brisbane, Australia, and i have had the same thing happen to me in kazza, but it only has happened once for me, i got 20k's a sec. Also when i downloaded linux lasy year i was getting baout 20k's a sec. It was amazing. Like WoW

Re: To answer the original question

Originally posted by Reg
It's possible because of fragmented downloads. When you download from Kazaa, you download multiple parts of the same file at the same time from multiple users. Thus, you get more of the file at the same time.

This is how Download Accelerator works.
Sorry Reg can't agree on that one. The bandwidth won't go up just because you split downloads into pieces. To the modem the data is just data, not downloads or split downloads using Kazaa or DA. DA is faster on a fast connection (Cable, DSL and so on) because the maximum speed of a download thread is often set around 30-60k (don't know if it's deliberate or not). If your connection can handle 200k then you can split the downloads to fill out the whole 200k. A modem can only handle 4-5k.

Re: Re: To answer the original question

Originally posted by Zedric
Sorry Reg can't agree on that one. The bandwidth won't go up just because you split downloads into pieces. To the modem the data is just data, not downloads or split downloads using Kazaa or DA. DA is faster on a fast connection (Cable, DSL and so on) because the maximum speed of a download thread is often set around 30-60k (don't know if it's deliberate or not). If your connection can handle 200k then you can split the downloads to fill out the whole 200k. A modem can only handle 4-5k.

No no, I didn't say the bandwidth goes up, I said you download multiple parts of the file at the same time.

See, the KB/s listed on those programs are not the actual speed you are downloading. It is calculated via a time clock. If you download a file that is broken into 4 parts at 4KB per second per part, the time would drop down to about 1/4th (it's a little higher. I'm just rounding off). When this happens, the math equation on the program (X = File Size / Time) says that you are downloading at 16-20KB/s. You are only really downloading at 4-7KB, but because you are downloading 4 different parts of the same file at the same time, the equation gives you a higher speed.

Re: Re: Re: To answer the original question

Originally posted by Reg
No no, I didn't say the bandwidth goes up, I said you download multiple parts of the file at the same time.

See, the KB/s listed on those programs are not the actual speed you are downloading. It is calculated via a time clock. If you download a file that is broken into 4 parts at 4KB per second per part, the time would drop down to about 1/4th (it's a little higher. I'm just rounding off). When this happens, the math equation on the program (X = File Size / Time) says that you are downloading at 16-20KB/s. You are only really downloading at 4-7KB, but because you are downloading 4 different parts of the same file at the same time, the equation gives you a higher speed.
Reg, if you download 4 parts at 5KB/s per part the real speed IS 16KB/s. If you were downloading at a total of 4KB/s the parts would be at 1KB/s. No matter what timer you use to calculate the speed.

Well heres the naked truth, Ya cant get 20k a second downloads on a 56K. The maximum you could possibly get and stay on for a long time is at 5-6k's a second. 56K modems arent made to handle such speeds, another thing that can bug ure download speed are how busy the ISP is, how noisy the fone line is, In what state is the fone line. There are many reasons as of why a 56K goes slower than 5k's a second, but no matter what it will never go and stay at an average speed of 20K's or more, thats just a tad cookoo!:rolleyes:

One more thing, download accelerators tend to lie. I use a download accelerator (Or used to anyway) and it once told me I was downloading at over 150k's a second, on a 56K, I mean come on how gullable do they think ppl are. Of course it went down and stableized at a speed of 29k's a second but i didnt believe it tho, it was just a big lie, cuz it took like 5 mins to download at 2.5Mb file!:p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back