2005 Tax Season

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
The tax season is upon us, as all employers (at least in the U.S.) have to have the returns post-marked by 01/31/06.

I picked up a Turbo Tax software bundle at Staples yesterday, as I have done my own since I was 16. Anyone else do their own?

Not currently as I've been a fulltime student for 2005. Don't have to file... With luck on a job hunt, I'll likely get this next year though...

BTW, the problem is (well hopefully) solved by now. But many years ago, Turbo Tax had a few glitches in the software which resulted in several people getting audited for what turned out to be software errors in the calculations performed. Not sure if the issue finally got resolved, though hopefully for all users benefit it since has...

I do my own. Using Turbo Tax.

Son Goku said:
Not currently as I've been a fulltime student for 2005. Don't have to file... With luck on a job hunt, I'll likely get this next year though...

BTW, the problem is (well hopefully) solved by now. But many years ago, Turbo Tax had a few glitches in the software which resulted in several people getting audited for what turned out to be software errors in the calculations performed. Not sure if the issue finally got resolved, though hopefully for all users benefit it since has...
I have used Turbo Tax the last 3 years, never had a problem.

However, they are touting this year (may have in past years as well), that if you get any problems or penalties due to the calculations, they will pay for it PLUS interest.

Me and the missus get a tax lady as she is self employed and I hate doing taxes other than basic. Did ours last year though.

It's pretty easy, but when you make as much money as Steevo you can afford such lavish services :cool:

sh*t its that time again.. gona have to go buy a copy of turbo tax..

VenomXt said:
sh*t its that time again.. gona have to go buy a copy of turbo tax..
Make sure you get the Premier Edition, which is $39.99 retail (can get cheaper if you search carefully for rebates).

This version comes with a free State download, which saves you $29.99

I don't do my own (don't have one thankfully!) but I do lots of Tax Returns for clients, and there are always some that leave it to the last minute to return them to us. :mad: Tis their fault if they miss the deadline and get fined £100!

Still havnt gotten my W-2's yet.... Grrr. Looking to get a decent sized return this year too.

Aprox said:
Still havnt gotten my W-2's yet.... Grrr. Looking to get a decent sized return this year too.
All W-2 info has to be postmarked by 1/31, should get them soon.

i posted this in the wrong thread but i still think its funny. lol

you know i hate doing taxes.. its like grown ups homework. with a much more painful final exam if you mess it up.

Last edited:
VenomXt said:
i posted this in the wrong thread but i still think its funny. lol

you know i hate doing taxes.. its like growups homework. with a much more painful final exam if you mess it up.
*grownups homework*

Good thing about TurboTax though is that it checks your return and updates your anticipated monetary value as you go.

Sweet program bro, go get it!

wwwdjrcs said:
I have used Turbo Tax the last 3 years, never had a problem.

However, they are touting this year (may have in past years as well), that if you get any problems or penalties due to the calculations, they will pay for it PLUS interest.

This could well be due to past fiascos. I'm remembering from perhaps even the late 1990s not too many years after the software first came out; so their software will have gone through many upgrades since then... Must have been one hell of a PR nightmere, when their customers started getting audited, in large numbers... The IRS ended up putting it together however, before things proceeded down a nasty path for many an individual, which is then how the info came out...

They advertise as having 270 full time CPA's working for them to help stay on top of things in regards to functionality, calculations and tax laws.

I use H+R Block online, pretty much the same as Turbo Tax, they file it for you, I believe it costs $50 for Federal and $15 for State. IIRC if you are filing less than $20k then it is only $20 total.

wwwdjrcs said:
All W-2 info has to be postmarked by 1/31, should get them soon.

If I dont get them soon, or they are post marked after 1/31 is there any penalty for me or the employer?

Returns are useless. I'm sickened (saddened?) that people actually look forward to them. Oh, thank you, IRS, you gave me back my money that I never even owed you in the first place! And you've given me zero interest in return!

With a little discipline and understanding of how much you should owe, you can invest the money you would have normally gotten in a tax return and make a modest amount of money on top of that.

Aprox said:
If I dont get them soon, or they are post marked after 1/31 is there any penalty for me or the employer?
No penalty for you, but if isn't postmarked by 1/31 I'm sure you could complain and get your employer in trouble.

Petros said:
Returns are useless. I'm sickened (saddened?) that people actually look forward to them. Oh, thank you, IRS, you gave me back my money that I never even owed you in the first place! And you've given me zero interest in return!

With a little discipline and understanding of how much you should owe, you can invest the money you would have normally gotten in a tax return and make a modest amount of money on top of that.
Yeah, it's a shame we have to pay taxes to support our country, isn't it?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back