2000 Pro or XP Pro

Depends on your machine I guess, but I'd go w/ XP myself.

Well why are you having a hard time deciding? What's stopping you buying one from the other?

As Bley mentioned, it has a lot to do with your machine specs. If you have one that's capable of running XP, I'd say go for it by all means. It's an improvement over Win2k in a lot of ways.

If you're intending to play games and stuff, go for XP. 2k doesn't support games very well.

2k pro is for business applications. xp pro is for games. xp home is for pansies. Also, xp is the only current end user MS OS that supports hyperthreading.

If your CPU HAS HT... then get xp pro, regardless what you want to use it for (only in your house, xp pro sucks in the business market - it will bring your sever to its knees.)

If you plan on doing a lot of business type applications AND you don't have HT, then get 2k pro.

Benchmarks show that 2k pro is faster than XP pro (minus HT) for business application.
I guess if you turn off all the crap included with XP, it is most likely faster in for business application.

ming said:
If you're intending to play games and stuff, go for XP. 2k doesn't support games very well.

Have you ever tried, i run 2kpro myself, and i have never had an issue with game play, as far as xp is, is just 2k with a lot of fluff. people have their opinions, and i have both os's on multiple pc's. xp is just more user friendly then 2k is. gaming is fine on either of em. and xp is a clock cycle hog

Windows 2000: NT 5
Windows XP: NT 5.1

Make up your mind :p.

I would personally use 2k, lot less fluff, one of the best OS's MS has ever made, and it will stay that until MS stops making the OS's bigger./

Got the big picture now! I'll choose XP Pro because it supports Hyper Threading and the hardware in my new system will be the latest tech available. Thanks for offering the distinctions between the two OS's.:)

silis said:
2k pro is for business applications. xp pro is for games. xp home is for pansies...

pro for games? home for pansies? gezus dude, ur lame with that statement.

toretto said:
Have you ever tried, i run 2kpro myself, and i have never had an issue with game play, as far as xp is, is just 2k with a lot of fluff. people have their opinions, and i have both os's on multiple pc's. xp is just more user friendly then 2k is. gaming is fine on either of em. and xp is a clock cycle hog
Yes I have tried before I bought XP Pro. Most probably the manufacturer's of the latest games have finally modified some of it's code to support 2k, but when I had it, some games didn't even respond when I tried running them.

Friend of Bill said:
I guess XP Professional is for professional pansies.:D

Guess I am a Pansy.

Support will last longer for XP Home and Pro rather than 2k.

XP is a minor upgrade of the code from 2k, mostly added the support from the 9x to NT. As Lee said XP is most likely going to have the longer service life then 2k. XP still has better support for games then 2k though 2k support as improved

I like XP because it's pretty ...

:0

Cool it guys
laugh.gif

I use XP and 2000 all day (both), and I'm voting XP Pro is the absolute best for everything. And yes, that statement was lame. XP Home is a great OS (I wouldnt have it cause i network within a domain).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back