2000 Pro or XP Pro

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
Well why are you having a hard time deciding? What's stopping you buying one from the other?

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
As Bley mentioned, it has a lot to do with your machine specs. If you have one that's capable of running XP, I'd say go for it by all means. It's an improvement over Win2k in a lot of ways.

ming

OSNN Advanced
If you're intending to play games and stuff, go for XP. 2k doesn't support games very well.

silis

The bum.
2k pro is for business applications. xp pro is for games. xp home is for pansies. Also, xp is the only current end user MS OS that supports hyperthreading.

If your CPU HAS HT... then get xp pro, regardless what you want to use it for (only in your house, xp pro sucks in the business market - it will bring your sever to its knees.)

If you plan on doing a lot of business type applications AND you don't have HT, then get 2k pro.

Benchmarks show that 2k pro is faster than XP pro (minus HT) for business application.
I guess if you turn off all the crap included with XP, it is most likely faster in for business application.

toretto

Mentally Absent
ming said:
If you're intending to play games and stuff, go for XP. 2k doesn't support games very well.
Have you ever tried, i run 2kpro myself, and i have never had an issue with game play, as far as xp is, is just 2k with a lot of fluff. people have their opinions, and i have both os's on multiple pc's. xp is just more user friendly then 2k is. gaming is fine on either of em. and xp is a clock cycle hog

X-Istence

Political User
Windows 2000: NT 5
Windows XP: NT 5.1

Make up your mind :p.

I would personally use 2k, lot less fluff, one of the best OS's MS has ever made, and it will stay that until MS stops making the OS's bigger./

Friend of Bill

What, me worry?
Got the big picture now! I'll choose XP Pro because it supports Hyper Threading and the hardware in my new system will be the latest tech available. Thanks for offering the distinctions between the two OS's.:)

ming

OSNN Advanced
toretto said:
Have you ever tried, i run 2kpro myself, and i have never had an issue with game play, as far as xp is, is just 2k with a lot of fluff. people have their opinions, and i have both os's on multiple pc's. xp is just more user friendly then 2k is. gaming is fine on either of em. and xp is a clock cycle hog
Yes I have tried before I bought XP Pro. Most probably the manufacturer's of the latest games have finally modified some of it's code to support 2k, but when I had it, some games didn't even respond when I tried running them.

chastity

Staff member
Political User
XP is a minor upgrade of the code from 2k, mostly added the support from the 9x to NT. As Lee said XP is most likely going to have the longer service life then 2k. XP still has better support for games then 2k though 2k support as improved

I use XP and 2000 all day (both), and I'm voting XP Pro is the absolute best for everything. And yes, that statement was lame. XP Home is a great OS (I wouldnt have it cause i network within a domain).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Hey ep!

All good with me, applying for microsoft mvp right now, should have done this a while ago.

Notifications don't work, I only found your response by comming back to hunt up some threads, if you want, give me your email address so we can keep in touch easier, mine is perriscalderon at gmail
Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samhicks