2000 pro install problem

IDLE

OSNN Senior Addict
ok,

the PC i am working on had Nt workstation on it. the OS was crrupted and i am trying to install 2000 on it. what i have done is gone thru fdsik to format the drive. all seems good. So i run the 2000 pro disk (boot disk) and go thru the setup. When you go to the part where you want to format it on a different file system it lists only NTFS and FAT. there is no quick format for each. (ive always seen teh quick format) So it takes forever to format.

after the format takes place, it copies the setup files to teh drive for the install. but while copying the files over it gives me an error that it cannot copy this file over (faxdriver.dll). I can skip or quit so i do skip and it couldnt copy many others. i never seen anything like this. any ideas???

IDLE

May seem like a real dufus like question, bu, have you made sure your cleaned the disk, checked it for no nasty scratches and also cleaned the optical part of the cd rom drive with the appropriate cleaning kit/disk and solution(s)?

Try lowering the speed of your ram in the bios, and/or removing all but one stick of it. Sounds funny, but it works [sometimes].

Unwonted said:
Try lowering the speed of your ram in the bios, and/or removing all but one stick of it. Sounds funny, but it works [sometimes].

actually i put in a stick of ram a couple days ago in that machine. ill remove that just in case. yes the lens and CD is perfect.

"Can't copy the file" means it can't get it off the CD or it can't write it to the HD. Listen to which drive is churning when this comes up and you will know which is the problem.

You've said the CD/CD Drive are ok that means it does not like the HD. Check bios settings (select auto detect for CD and HD) and restore all bios settings to default (you need to do this anyway since some bios settings require drivers installed before they can be enabled).

If that doesn't help do a track 0 repair on the HD and then reformat. You're expected options should come up then. I only use WD and they have the track 0 repair on their floppy. Not sure where to find a utility for other drives.

Unlikely it has anything to do with RAM. If it copies any significant part of the OS over the RAM was ok.

LeeJend said:
"Can't copy the file" means it can't get it off the CD or it can't write it to the HD. Listen to which drive is churning when this comes up and you will know which is the problem.

You've said the CD/CD Drive are ok that means it does not like the HD. Check bios settings (select auto detect for CD and HD) and restore all bios settings to default (you need to do this anyway since some bios settings require drivers installed before they can be enabled).

If that doesn't help do a track 0 repair on the HD and then reformat. You're expected options should come up then. I only use WD and they have the track 0 repair on their floppy. Not sure where to find a utility for other drives.

Unlikely it has anything to do with RAM. If it copies any significant part of the OS over the RAM was ok.

i have copied the CD to the HDD to take out the CD problem. and still same problem. Ill have to check the bios settings when i get to the office and post what i have found out.

Make sure you disable shadowing in your BIOS. This has been a known problem for Windows 2000 and early builds of Windows XP.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back