2000 domain to 2008

Bootsy

Huh?
Hi all,

Been a while, hope everyone is doing well. I wanted to get your opinions on something related to a VERY small domain I administer. We have this domain comprising of a domain controller (also is a file server) and 2 computers. If it had been me that set it up in the beginning I would have just left it as a workgroup since only 2 PCs authenticate to it. Anyway, this domain controller is currently running windows server 2000, and it is a very old server. Well I finally got the budget to upgrade it (yey!). I bought a windows 2008 server to replace that one.

My question to you all is which of the 3 options below would you go with?

1. Join the 2008 server to the 2000 domain and promote it?
2. Do away with the 2000 domain and just replace the whole domain altogether?
3. Do away with the 2000 domain and leave the 2008 as a workgroup?

Option 1 seems to be a lot of work for not too much payoff so I am debating it from the start.

Ok any input is appreciated.

Thanks guys

for just 2 machines I'd jump on number 2.

You could do number 1 then remove the 2000 dc and upgrade AD to 2008 R2 but the workstations would need to be win 7 ideally.

Yea they are XP boxes so makes sense. I was leaning that way

Thanks Lord

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back