200 $ to spend for new vga

Adrenalize

Tired Zombie
I need a new videocard and was wondering what u pple would suggest for under $200.And if the radeon drivers are worth messing with since i have never used an ati card.

try an Nvidia Geforce FX 5200, i believe they are under 200

5200? you can get one for under $100. but it's slower than crap. even the 5600ultra is beat by a 4200... and the 4200 is a lot cheaper. the 5800's are too loud. i'd stay away from the fx's unless you're gonna go with the 5900.

for $200, go with ati. or get a really nice (eg. albatron p-turbo) gf4 4200-8x 128mb and keep a few bucks.

A Radeon 9700 can be had for about $200 at gameve.com . Also, check ebay for 9700's.

A 9500 Pro has higher core and memory speeds than a 9500, by the way.

Originally posted by Adrenalize
I need a new videocard and was wondering what u pple would suggest for under $200.And if the radeon drivers are worth messing with since i have never used an ati card.

what are you looking for in the video card ?

both ati and nvidia offer good/competitive products in that price range... probably the best bang for the buck will be the ati 9500pro...

the pro is better than the non-pro for a couple of reasons...

the pro == 8 pipelines enabled/high clock speeds...
non-pro == 4 pipelines enabled/lower clock speeds...

ergo the 9500pro has much high performance...

the 9700 non-pro is also a good card but may cost you a touch OVER 200 dollars...

Originally posted by Bootsy
should I get a 4600 or a 5600???

this is the order I recommend...

5600ultra...

if you can get the ultra.. go for it... else get something else...

Originally posted by Bootsy
so the 5600 ultra is better than the Ti4600?

yes... it clocks in a little faster..

in real world gaming performance w/o an extra eye candy or LOD turned up... they should be reasonably close together... maybe the 4600 will be a touch faster actually...

BUT the 5600ultra is a dx9 component :)

either way you can't really go wrong and the 5600ultra/9600pro cards are the minimum I would recommend if you are considering a dx9 part...

all in all with AA and AF turned on... the 5600ultra is faster than the 4600... it should also have faster PS and VS performance :)

makes a difference for the snazzy new games that keep coming out these days..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back