• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

200 $ to spend for new vga

I need a new videocard and was wondering what u pple would suggest for under $200.And if the radeon drivers are worth messing with since i have never used an ati card.

Taurus

hardware monkey
5200? you can get one for under $100. but it's slower than crap. even the 5600ultra is beat by a 4200... and the 4200 is a lot cheaper. the 5800's are too loud. i'd stay away from the fx's unless you're gonna go with the 5900.

for $200, go with ati. or get a really nice (eg. albatron p-turbo) gf4 4200-8x 128mb and keep a few bucks.

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
Originally posted by Adrenalize
I need a new videocard and was wondering what u pple would suggest for under $200.And if the radeon drivers are worth messing with since i have never used an ati card.
what are you looking for in the video card ?

both ati and nvidia offer good/competitive products in that price range... probably the best bang for the buck will be the ati 9500pro...

the pro is better than the non-pro for a couple of reasons...

the pro == 8 pipelines enabled/high clock speeds...
non-pro == 4 pipelines enabled/lower clock speeds...

ergo the 9500pro has much high performance...

the 9700 non-pro is also a good card but may cost you a touch OVER 200 dollars...

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
Originally posted by Bootsy
should I get a 4600 or a 5600???
this is the order I recommend...

5600ultra...

if you can get the ultra.. go for it... else get something else...

Sazar

F@H - Is it in you?
Staff member
Political User
Originally posted by Bootsy
so the 5600 ultra is better than the Ti4600?
yes... it clocks in a little faster..

in real world gaming performance w/o an extra eye candy or LOD turned up... they should be reasonably close together... maybe the 4600 will be a touch faster actually...

BUT the 5600ultra is a dx9 component :)

either way you can't really go wrong and the 5600ultra/9600pro cards are the minimum I would recommend if you are considering a dx9 part...

all in all with AA and AF turned on... the 5600ultra is faster than the 4600... it should also have faster PS and VS performance :)

makes a difference for the snazzy new games that keep coming out these days..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanoravies