200/266 MHz DDR

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
my little brother has a eMachines computer and he wants to upgrade the RAM on it to 1GB. he currently has 512MB. the bus speed that it say is 200/266 MHz...does this mean that he can get any speed RAM above that 266 and he will be fine?

Yes should be fine Ram is backwards compatible so even if he used PC2700 or PC3200 the bios will just set it to 266mhz but because he will have ram with a higher rating this will leave him more room to up the FSB and overclock :D

PC2700 - DDR333 - 333Mhz Bus
PC2700 (also know as DDR333) memory is now mainstream and a official JEDEC standard. Crucial is now selling PC2700 DDR memory modules in 256MB and 128MB sizes. This DDR memory is able to run at speeds up to 333Mhz. Only a handful of the latest motherboards support this fast memory. The good thing is that DDR RAM is backwards compatible, so if you are thinking about upgrading in the future, you should buy PC2700 now, because you can run it at lower clock speeds such as 266Mhz like PC2100 RAM or 200Mhz like PC1600 RAM on your older DDR motherboard, then if you ever upgrade to a PC2700 motherboard you can still use your RAM.

PC2100 - DDR266 - 266Mhz Bus
Speed is the name of the game in the world of technology. Industry performance standards are always advancing rapidly. Lately, you may have been told that PC100 or PC133 memory is the fastest memory available for your home computer systems, but not surprisingly that has already changed. PC100 and PC133 are ratings for DIMMs (SDRAM). The latest generation of SDRAM is called DDR RAM (Double Data Rate RAM). DDR RAM has twice bandwidth of standard SDRAM. This boost in performance is allowing personal computers to move data a whole lot faster. The result is more realistic video rendering, both in the professional graphics design and gaming worlds.

here go read this if you like http://www.ddr-memory.com/

:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back