20 to 24 Pin converter

q12368c

OSNN Addict
Can I use a 20 to 24 pin converter to connect to my
old P III power supply, which is to use it P 4 3.G LG775 24 pin motherbroad?

I doubt it since the 24 pin version has 4 extra wires comming from the power supply. When you go from 24-20 the extra wires aren't used.

Also, I would advise against using a power supply from such an older system, it may not have enough power to run the P4 and it could even cause problems. It's always good to get a good PSU when making such a switch.

Yes, there are converters that take a 4 pin in line molex and convert it to a 4 pin square that. They were used whent eh 4 pin squate first came out. That gets the extra 4 power and ground wires to the conenctor. Many new MB's have the 24 pin and a seperate 4 pin square connector to allow for adapter.

The thing to watch out for is that the power supply provides enough +12V power. If you are doing top end 64 bit cpu and high end graphics an old PSU will not support it. That needs an ATX 2.0x power supply with minimum of 2 +12V rails rated 17A each. The higher end video you go or if you go SLI then requirements are even higher.

Post what you plan and we can make recommendations.

my current P4 3G is using a new power supply, it is 400W 2theMax model.
but it seen (may be) unstable because one harddisk always 'disappear' while turn on the PC. I am wondering the new PSU and so I want using my old P III PSU (300W)to temporary replace for testing, and then make decision on buying a new PSU (24 pin for P4 3G CPU).

because the 20-24 cable is cheaper. a new PSU cost me a lost..also i think to buy a 500W model.

**I have 3 IDE HD , 1 SATA HD 1 DVDRW, 5 FANs, P4 3000MHz LGA 775 (ASUS P5RD1-V http://uk.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=179&model=465&modelmenu=1), I use the onboard VGA disokay, and only one USB 2.0 PCI card insert, I think 400W PSU enough?

Last edited:
Just remeber, as it has been said MANY times in multiple threads, when purchasing a PSU it's not only the wattage you need to look at, you also need to make sure the amperage ratings on the different rails are high enough (high the better).

Like LeeJend said, if you have a high end system you will most likely need soemthing with 17A or higher otherwise you make have issues.

The issue you described my be a sympton of an overworked PSU and using something thats rated for a P3 won't help with troubleshooting as it's ratings may be lower then your current one.

The spec. of my 400W PSU:
+3.3V 17A
+5V 32A
+12V 15A
-5V 0.5A
-12V 0.5A
Standby 5VSB 1.5A

is it enough?

Probably not. It depends on what processor and video card you have. The PSU you have is intended for older processors and video cards that used much 3.3V and 5V. The new P4, AMD 64 and dual core processors need mostly +12V. The new video cards use much +12V also.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back