2 x 250GIG HD or 1 x 74 Raptor?

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi All,

I am wondering, which would be more better setup:

2 x 250G 16Mb, SataII/NCQ Seagates in Striped array

or

1 x 74Gig Raptor

This is for a straight up gaming machine (Vista and Games only installed).

I do know that this will not make games faster, but better installing and loading is what I am trying to achieve on the HD side.

Storage space is NOT a requirement.

Thanks for your opinion,

Heeter

depends on who you are installing the games, i know some allow you to load the game files and keep videos on the disc for space saving, or you can install all to the drive, and it depends on how many games you are installing, i believe a lot lately can be over 5gb no problem

depends on who you are installing the games, i know some allow you to load the game files and keep videos on the disc for space saving, or you can install all to the drive, and it depends on how many games you are installing, i believe a lot lately can be over 5gb no problem
The 2 MMO's I play are BIG, one is about ~10GB and the other ~18.5GB. :)

The 2 MMO's I play are BIG, one is about ~10GB and the other ~18.5GB. :)

last time i played a game on pc it was 5gb - bt as i say it depends on how many games will be installed, if its one or two at any time 74gb would be fine, if its more then bigger drives will be required

Well one or two games at a time, full installs, front to back. No more than two.

This will be a stand alone machine, no other software will be installed.

Will be connected to internet, but for Windows/Steam updates, definitely not an internet surfer or emailer.

Machine just built for gaming.

Thanks again , for your opinions.

Heeter

I'd buy one 150GB Raptor.
I agree.

I know you don't use it for much, but if you are going to drop the cash on a system you might as well give yourself a little room for upgradability. For raw performance I'm pretty sure the raports are still king for speed, and the 150GB drives are actually slightly faster than the 74's I believe. Don't waste your cash on one with a window though, unless you want to look at it.

Also, when I was looking at this not too long ago - I think there was only like a 1% speed increase by running a raptor in RAID vs. running solo. Can't find the link for that obviously, but I would say that's not too much of an increase.

Thanks KC,

This dude that I am putting together this machine just wants the optimum setup for loading a game. It is a pretty generic $40 tower and can't see the hd from the outside anyways.

I will try to convince him to get the 150G raptor, especially if I tell him the 150 is a speed demon compared to the 74G, LOLOL

Heeter

Well not probably noticabely faster - but you figure the life of a HD with a warranty is 1-3-5 years (somewhere in there, not sure atm). For minimal price difference (I think), you get almost double the capacity.

-edit-

Yeah, only about 30 bucks more for the double the space. I'd say go for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back