2 Questions In One

N

Not Bman

I know I ask you guys a lot of questions, and you always say search first. Which I do, but many of my questions are looking for opinons from people I trust. So with that I also don't want to annoy anyone so I am putting 2 questions in one.

The first one might be a loaded question, not sure. What is the best non D SLR cameras, but best digital camera with the most features, the easiest to use, and is fairly cheap to buy. I guess what is the best top of the line digital camera right now. Now I would love to get a SLR camera but from the reviews I have heard the best cheap one is $1000+ which I for sure don't have money for.

Second question is what is the best overall webcam. I have always heard great about Logitech's Quickcam Pro 9000, many stuff recommend it. Is that the best one, what should I be looking at in web cams if I want to broadcast live feeds, and record alright videos and so forth.

Thanks.

With that camera price I might as well get a DSLR.

honestly.... i'd have to say unless you're just looking for a little point n' shoot digital camera.... i'd say go with a DSLR. don't know where you heard that the best cheap one is $1,000+. Canon Digital Rebel's are excellent. they have the XTi which uses an optical viewfinder on places like Newegg for $639 USD with a 18-55mm lens.... or you could probably look around, maybe on Amazon or something, since i don't think Newegg ships to Canada... not sure. There's also the XSi, which has an optical viewfinder, but can also use the built-in LCD as a viewfinder as well should you so choose (even though i've heard that LCD viewfinders on DSLR's aren't as nice as they are on point n' shoots), but those seem to run roughly $130 USD more

Point n' shoots are nice for convenience. they're small, easily portable, and always ready to snap a picture, but tend to be lacking in the zoom area. and the somewhat more professional SLR-like camera's (with a nice zoom, but non-swappable lens) have the nice zoom and everything, but don't really seem to be worth the money or bulk you'd have to carry around. I mean... if you're gonna go with a bulky digital camera with a long range zoom, why not just get a DSLR and save up for 2 or 3 lenses along the way. Don't always have to buy expensive Canon lenses or anything either. there are other lenses on Amazon and such that actually take quite nice pictures, and are quite cheap cost wise compared to Canon's lenses.

So I should save up and pay around $700+ for the XSi instead of getting another normal digital camera. I would love to get one, wanted one for awhile its just that would probably take me awhile to save up, which I guess ain't a problem.

Honestly i think i'd just stick to the XTi. the XSi does seem nice with the LCD viewfinder, but as the guy told me, LCD viewfinders aren't as nice on SLR's as they are on point n' shoots. I can kinda see where he's getting at too. If you were to use the LCD, you'd have to cover up the optical viewfinder on the camera, otherwise there's a good chance the picture would come out bad due to light traveling down the viewfinder. Rather save the extra money that you'd have by getting the XTi rather than the XSi, and use that money towards another lens.

The thing with the whole D SLR market and even the higher-end point and shoot cameras are the features. You might find an amazing camera that takes superb pictures but for some insane reason they left out a feature that you want and that existed the previous model number in that same line of camera. Conversely you may find a camera that has every feature that you could possibly want and yet takes horrible pictures.

For everyday use and where you aren't going to be taking photos professionally I would recommend a decent point and shoot. I currently use a Canon PowerShot A570 IS (7.1 MP) that I received as a gift. For my needs as a mere hobbyist when it comes to photography it is very good, IMHO. You can find that for around 150 USD.

There's also the XSi, which has an optical viewfinder, but can also use the built-in LCD as a viewfinder as well should you so choose (even though i've heard that LCD viewfinders on DSLR's aren't as nice as they are on point n' shoots), but those seem to run roughly $130 USD more

The Olympus E-520 has a very nice LCD viewfinder, IMHO. I'm extremely impressed about that. It's also pretty solid in construction compared to some other D SLRs. Nice features, as well.

The thing with the whole D SLR market and even the higher-end point and shoot cameras are the features. You might find an amazing camera that takes superb pictures but for some insane reason they left out a feature that you want and that existed the previous model number in that same line of camera. Conversely you may find a camera that has every feature that you could possibly want and yet takes horrible pictures.

For everyday use and where you aren't going to be taking photos professionally I would recommend a decent point and shoot. I currently use a Canon PowerShot A570 IS (7.1 MP) that I received as a gift. For my needs as a mere hobbyist when it comes to photography it is very good, IMHO. You can find that for around 150 USD.

I would agree with you. Yet, I know photography and will eventually be using my skills as part of my graphic design work. So I think going more professional is better at this point.

Bman: if you do decide to get one of the DSLR's, you'll either need to buy one of the kits, or buy the body and a lens of your choosing. It's nice that the site you linked to has a bunch of options for the body and a variation of lenses..... and i'd pick one of those. either way, you'll need a lens. won't work with just the body. lol. As for going with the XTi or XSi from that site... that's up to you. I'm not sure whether or not the LCD viewfinder would be that much of a hassle, or if it'd be a godsend, seeing as i've never had the chance to try one out.... but i have an XTi, and i love the thing to death.

I can guarantee that if you really looking into getting into photography... you'll love a DSLR. Picture quality is excellent.... the number of options for lenses is excellent (and can be confusing, especially when you're deciding on a possible second lens you might want).... and they're just fun to use. Nice to have a camera that could have almost anywhere between a 1/4000th of a second exposure, up to a 30 second exposure. one of my favorite pics i've taken so far, even though i haven't had the chance to go many places to take some nice pics......

IMG_0643.jpg

Also have a nice panorama i threw together after taking a few pics from my tripod of that same area. in case you're curious, it's the Bake Oven Knob near Andreas, PA. Keep in mind this pic was MUCH larger before it was PhotoBucket-itized, and made internet friendly. it's original resolution would make any computer shutter in fear. lol.

BakeOvenKnob.jpg

LOL

Reading what you wrote and looking at the picture you remind me of my brother, ElementalDragon. He's into photography and doing the whole DSLR thing.

Beautiful picture and IMHO the graffiti on the rocks makes the picure by adding that bit of colour in the foreground. Nice! :)

you could look at the new Canon XS as well if you are just looking to get into the DSLR world.. they're nice cameras for a good price to get your foot in the door. Any lens you purchase would work later until you worked your way up to a full frame camera.. so long as you kept on with the Canon line.

In the end, the features are nice, but the glass is usually worth more than the body as you go on down the line.

yeah.... wouldn't exactly call it Graffiti. least Graffiti tends to have a nice design to it and makes sense. Could hardly tell what half the crap said on that rock, even while standing on it. And by the way... in case you may have been curious.... the spot where i took those pics is roughly 1,600ft-1,800ft in elevation if i remember correctly. Greatest place to sit, relax, and clear one's head. No loud noise.... occasional people walking by, but they tend to not make much noise either, since most of them are hikers..... just you, the slight breeze, the birds (which i also took a picture of a hawk that was flyin around), and a whole lot of pain should you be a clumsy bastid and fall off the rock. lol.

So either Rebel I get, what lenses do you recommend, at least to start with?

honestly, the best you could start out with is a mid-range zoom.... maybe somewhere along the lines of the 18-55mm lens that came with mine. If you go with maybe a macro lens, then you'll have trouble taking pictures of distant objects, while if you get a lens made for zooming (like the one 75-300mm lens i have), you'll probably have trouble taking a pic of damn near ANYTHING. Have to keep in mind that at longer zoom ranges... even the slightest movement makes you think "what the hell am i looking at now?" Almost impossible to take a decent pic with my zoom lens when it's zoomed all the way in while holding the camera. tripod use is practically required.

So yeah... for your first lens, i'd recommend something around maybe an 18-55mm lens... somewhere in that range. you don't want it to be too high, nor do you want it to be too low. 18-55 gives you a nice balance of being able to take nice pictures while it's zoomed all the way out, yet still be able to zoom in a fair amount should you want to be a bit closer to what you're shooting.

The new 18-55 kit lens you get with the XS and XSi is actually a fairly decent lens for the price you get it for and is a nice place to start. It comes with 3-stop IS I believe (image stabilization). If you go for a longer zoom lens on the Canon side, you'll find most people will advise you to start with a canon 70-200 L series lens. The 70-200 F4 with IS is extremely nice.. of course, it will run you ~$1000 (used or new) but the IS is really helpful unless you are running around with a tripod. I think mlakrid had one for sale earlier.. not sure if he's still selling though.

If you want to play with primes, I'd go with a nifty fity 50mm F1.8 or the 1.4.. the f1.8 is usually found in the $80-100 range.

I've fallen in love with my 60mm Macro prime though which is close enough to the 50 that I haven't picked one up.

Thanks for the tips guys I will keep that all in thought when I go and buy my camera. I don't know when it will be because of the price but hopefully sooner then later.

Now, any thoughts on the best webcam? Any thoughts on the Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back