2 PCs with Win-XP SP2 not able to WORKGROUP

pills25

pills25
Dear All,

Hi How are you all.. having a great time !! ?? but I am not. I am having some serious issue with a workgroup network trial with my 2 PCs at home, in which both of them are having Windows XP – SP2.

SCENARIO:

I have networked using INTEL 100/Pro S PCI network card with RJ 45 CAT 5E media connected to BAYSTACK 420 24 port SWITCH and then internet ADSL router – SPEEDTOUCH is also connected to this switch.

PCs are both assembled ones, with original INTEL 800Mhz FSB Motherboards with Original Boxed INTEL P4-E processors @ 3.0 Ghz (1MB Cache)

IP ADDRESSes:

ADSL router (in-built DHCP server enabled, Range=10.0.0.1 – 254 / ff.ff.ff.0)

10.0.0.138/ff.ff.ff.0

Baystack switch = 10.0.0.5 / ff.ff.ff.0

PC no.1 = 10.0.0.10 / ff.ff.ff.0

PC no.2 = 10.0.0.11 / ff.ff.ff.0

PROBLEM:

I am able to PING / TELNET the ADSL router and Baystack switch successfully no issues.

But I am not able to PING / TELNET to my two PCs. Also these two PCs I am failing to configure in a small WORKGROUP to share some resources.

As per my friend’s advice, I have tried disabling the FIREWALL of SP2 and also the FIREWALL of TREND MICRO Internet Security Suite with Antivirus.

Still I am not able to PING or configure a WORKGROUP. I have tried the Small Office / Home networking wizard. Still nothing works.

So anyone faced similar problems and had a way out of it? Please do help me too.

I am totally confused and believe me, feeling very bad because its just such a small interconnectivity and I am facing a tug of war in this.

Thanks in advance , please do help.

HAVE A NICE DAY !!! CHEERS !!

lol awesome first post newbie, i live in khobar next to you but im in canada now studying i go back for vacations... anyway im trying to figure out a solution, try uninstalling first the tren micro thingy coz i dont think you really need it, windows firewall is enough
try changing the ip of the computers
PC no. 1 = 192.168.0.1
PC no. 2 = 192.168.0.2
and let's hope that it should give any effect, i dont think it would though but try it's the default ip address given to a network
other than that you can wait for people to start waking up and they'll give you better solutions :D

Make sure both machines have the same Workgroup name as each other. For home users it's usually WORKGROUP, or MSHOME.
You can check in Control Panel, System > Properties, Computer Name Tab.

Sorry, so you can't ping pc1 from pc2 or vice versa?

Hmm, not necessarily an easy solution with that switcher in the way.

Have you tried making one PC the master and the other a slave? i.e.

PC1 = 10.0.0.10
Subnet 255.255.255.0
PC2 = Automatically retreive IP address

That way you can at least see if there is any network connectivity.

1st check the workgroups of the computer and make sure they are on the same groups..

Next check the setting of the switch. The Baystack may be configured to have each computer with a connection but not able to see each other..

The network I have set up we has a total of 200 connections.. Only 7 selected IP's are able to group. The rest that connect to the switch have there own connection then out to the gateway. Of the 193 other connections they can't see each other on the networks or able to ping each other, just the outside world and the gateway.

Your problem may lay in your switch.

**Edit**
Just another thought,, I have see some situations where a switch or router doesn't like "workgroup" or "mshome"
Try changing to something different. like "myconnect" on both pc's.

I have tried disconnecting both the BAYSTACK switch and the SPEEDTOUCH ADSL internet router. Connected directly using "CROSS" cable. Still not PINGing.
Both PCs WORKGROUP is same.
I have tried changing IP address to 192.168.0.xx. Still not pinging.

Anything more can I try? Please help

Thanks in advance
- pills25

Electronic Punk said:
Sorry, so you can't ping pc1 from pc2 or vice versa?

I have tried disconnecting both the BAYSTACK switch and the SPEEDTOUCH ADSL internet router. Connected directly using "CROSS" cable. Still not PINGing.
Both PCs WORKGROUP is same.
I have tried changing IP address to 192.168.0.xx. Still not pinging.

Anything more can I try? Please help

Thanks in advance
- pills25

As I was saying before.

port-based VLANs can be established for each switch, to extend the broadcast domain and segment network traffic for higher network efficiency.

Your port are probably set to Vlan.. which means each connection have there OWN connection and cannot see each other.. You need to access your management software for this switch and enable cross platform

Use the link below to see your product manuals and obtaining the software to access the management feature of your switch..

In my opinion, the switch you have is just for connecting a few home computers is way off.. A person doesn't need that kind of switch for home use. But for what ever reason you have this. The management software should help you.

However I have done some digging for you but you'll have to read the doc as I can't install the software and test it out. Only you have the switch . These links will point you in the right directions:

**Baystack 420 homepage
**Switch Downloads
**Product Documents

The switch Baynetwork is working fine. There are no VIP configured in any ports. All are in open port configuiration, but still my two Windows XP - SP2 PCs are not seeing each other.
Tried disabling TREND MICRO Internet Security in both the PCs along with the Windows Firewall on the Network card.
But still nothings working.
Any ideas, solutions?
Please reply..

Thanks in advance,
- pills25

try installing the .net patch on both and see what happens.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back