2 hour Lease time expires = restart PC?

zandyrei

TinySoft
im having problems with my internet connection.. i only have 2 hours of lease time and when it expires i have to restart my pc to have a connection again.
is it my router or something wrong with windows?

im at bridged connection, if i change my modem from bridged to router i cant connect to the net.

my modem is zyxel p-660r d1, i have admin account on web configuration but i cant locate how to change my lease... restart after 2 hours is kinda weird just to have a connection...

Attachments

• 123.JPG
    123.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 450
ipconfig /renew in a command prompt but you shouldn't need to do that.

Go to a command prompt and type the following -

netsh winsock reset

or

netsh w r

I would reboot after to be safe, although it isn't required. This should fix your RPC errors, not sure about your DHCP timeouts quite yet. That setting is normally controlled through your DHCP server, which should be your modem if your router is running in bridged mode. If you don't have anything funky setup such as port forwarding, etc - resetting your router may be a good idea. I would first try to power cycle the router and modem. Turn them both off (pull power), turn modem on first, wait a minute, turn router on. Probably shut PC down before doing either.

So, run command from cmd prompt - shut down PC. Turn off modem/router (follow order above for turning back on). Turn PC back on - check lease time. If still two hours, see if you can login to your modem and reset values to default - if not sure how to do that, call ISP for support. Also worth checking - plug PC directly into modem, verify you can get online and check DHCP lease time there too.

Sorry for the scattered thoughts, I'm tired :p

Good luck and keep us posted!

Make sure the DCHP Client service is started and set to automatic.

i can now IPconfig /renew but still i have lease time of 2 hours. and i checked DCHP Client service and it is started and set for automatic... im using a modem router by the way, i power cycled, rest firmware and ect but still i have to reboot PC to get connected after the lease time expires..

now i discovered that when i IPconfig /renew i can now extend my lease for 2 hours... if my lease is 2:00am to 4:00am and i Ipconfig /renew at 2:21am my lease expiry will be changed to 4:21am.. is this the ISP? or the PC that fails to renew everytime it needed...

Does your IP from here http://whatsmyip.net/ match the IP that you blurred out on the screenshot?

If so then you can't change the IP lease time as it's set by your ISP and you don't have control over that. If no then your modem is handling DHCP as you mentioned it's a sort of modem/router. The only way to increase the lease time is to login to the modem's web interface and change it (if it's not locked by your ISP as some limit what you can change in their modems).

One other option is to set a static IP but that's ONLY IF your modem is doing DHCP.

Does your IP from here http://whatsmyip.net/ match the IP that you blurred out on the screenshot?

If so then you can't change the IP lease time as it's set by your ISP and you don't have control over that. If no then your modem is handling DHCP as you mentioned it's a sort of modem/router. The only way to increase the lease time is to login to the modem's web interface and change it (if it's not locked by your ISP as some limit what you can change in their modems).

One other option is to set a static IP but that's ONLY IF your modem is doing DHCP.

my ip changed since yesterday, its different from now...my modem is zyxel, i cant find any option to change the lease time, if i put my momed to router mode i can ha 3 days lease duration but i cannot connect to the net when using router mode, so i went back to bridged mode.. still 2 hours lease...

Can you hook up another machine to this and see what happens? Spare desktop or laptop, see if it has the same issue?

Have you called your ISP?

Can you hook up another machine to this and see what happens? Spare desktop or laptop, see if it has the same issue?

Have you called your ISP?

resently i changed motherboard and reformat HD, but still its 2 hours lease i called ISP they are blaming it on my PC, maybe a virus, i told them that i just changed mobo and reformat then they told me they will come over to my house but no luck they havent arrived, some reasons they told me is my phone line, they told me if my line is faulty it keeps on asking the modem/router to renew, renew, renew thats the reason why i have a small lease......

What a crock...

If your line is faulty they can tell you by running their diagnostics remotely. It sounds like you talked to the ISP help people. They should forward you to the real tech's on the line side of support. The line techs will run a diagnostic remotely. If that diagnostic shows a problem they will send someone out to check the line to the house and then the wiring inside the house and have a spare modem in case that is defective.

If the line tests ok then it is ISP policy or the setup in the modem/router is wrong. ISP's can and do remotely lock certain modem settings. This is usually done by the cable companies, not DSL.

There should be a web conenciton to your modem. That menu will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about your modem, line, connection etc.

To get at the advanced functions and setup you need to log in. The access code is usually on the bottom of the modem.

BTW My modem only shows a default lease time of 10 minutes. I am having no dropped connections though. The only time I ever had dropped conneciton issues that required reboot was an old linksys that was dying of old age. I replaced it and have not had a lost connection in 2 years.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back