2 computers 1 broadband connection?

F

fitfella29

ive currently got my comp connected to 1mbps broadband isp,im getting a new comp in 2 weeks and want them both to run off the same cable modem but in diff rooms of the house.would i need a broadband router to do this and a long cable to join them up and is it reletively easy and is there any other bits of kit i`d need? i also want to limit the amount of bandwidth my second comp will use leaving most of the bandwidth for my main comp for online gaming is this possible?

any help would be appreciated,thanks.

you can share a network connection.

don't need a router, but a router might be the best solution

I personally prefer 802.11, but there are security issues with a wireless router

I hope someone comes in and gives you step by step instructional on sharing a network connection without a router...that will be vewry helpfull to bunches of people

i use linksys for my 2 machines and have had no prob. easy to config. actually you just hook the machines up while everything is powered down and then power up and it will work.......but if you dont want to worry bout having someone still a connect from you then i would config. the router then. which is easy...directions are very plain and simply>:D

all I did was connect my modem into the uplink port on the hub, then connected my computers to the hub, then connect like the modem was connected right to the machine I'm on.

yeah i did that but when i had them hooked to the hub i couldnt get online with both at the same time there was an IP/sharing prob. they had the same ip my modem wasnt sending a diff. ip to both machines.

Well I've no problems with the Linksys router I've got. The only thing is u might have to set up the computers to obtain there ip address from the router.

i have several machines, all going into a linksys BEFSR41 router, which has the cable modem coming into it. it acts as a hardware firewall (with Stateful Packet Inspection on the latest firmware even!) and because of it's NAT, it's (pretty) hard to hack through. it has worked very well for me, it just sits there and does it's job(s). all it requires is a bit of learning about setting it up - but that is neccesary if you are going to do any of the suggested solutions. a router however is your best bet. why? because it is actually the product specifically designed for this job! makes sense - use the right tools for the job.

Originally posted by Chastity
Well I've no problems with the Linksys router I've got. The only thing is u might have to set up the computers to obtain there ip address from the router.

well that's how windows machines are set up by default anyway :)

I just use Internet Sharing Wizard in XP after I hook one up to cable modem. Hook both up to hub or router and then set one comp to get access from the other one. Very easy in XP.

You should use a datalink router..... Very easy to install... also if u have a ps2 or an xbox u will be able to go online easily....

thanks for everyones help,much appreciated.i`ll most prob need more advice when i start to set it all up in 2 weeks!

Why dont you just install a proxy server on the PC with cable modem..!! It is very easy download something like Net Now..!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back