2 atx power supplies 1 motherboard

B

bruor

i mwondering if anyone out there has ever gotten 2 atx power supplies to work off of the signals of one motherboard?...

i would like to do this so that my cooking system can run off one supply and my MB and drives can run off the other. i would like to bridge 2 450 watt power supplies together if possible.

i have read up that you can short the PS-ON pin 14 to a ground pin to turn the supply on... but i need to know what other wires the MB uses to signal the supply to stay on.

im guessing that it just keeps 14 shorted to ground once it senses power has come on.

if anyone can help me out by verifying this i would be very grateful.

There is a guy here at work that did that to two older AT style PS because one was just too small, but not sure about ATX. I would imagine you could splice all the wires that feed a signal into the power supply together, just keep the power outputs seperate.

Personally, if you really want a big PS, just buy a 500-550 watt one. That is unless you already have one 450W and want to add the other one.

You could try it on a couple older ATX style PS if you have access to some cheap surplus. That way, if one or both goes bad, you wont be out $200+. IF it does work, then you have an answer and can post here what you did. :D

To turn the PS on without the motherboard, you need to short pin 14 (green) and pin 13 (black)

When will you ever need that much power in a computer? 900W for gods sake!

This "cooking system", I hope you meant cooling system. Or is it a combined stove/computer? :D

lol it was late, yes it was a typo lol although i have seen soemone who built a coffee brewer into their case....

thanks for the link to that relay thats exactly what ill get if i cant figure out the wiring myself to make this work.

900 W? what for ? well im hoping to set up one to run my 80W peltier water pump and the huge fan for the radiator along with all the other case fans. thatll leave my other one free to power the MB and my 6 ide devices

thanks again for that link!!!

Originally posted by Zedric
When will you ever need that much power in a computer? 900W for gods sake!

This "cooking system", I hope you meant cooling system. Or is it a combined stove/computer? :D

It's an electrical oven. Or maybe it's a space heater...wait, it's a computer too :p

My space heater eats 600wats on low, 900 on middle ( heh, heh, heh ) and 1500watts on high :happy:

Originally posted by Nick M
My space heater eats 600wats on low, 900 on middle ( heh, heh, heh ) and 1500watts on high :happy:
1500W. Hmmm, you'll need four 450W PSU:s for that! ;)
Anyone seen a 4-to-1 PSU converter? (I sincerely hope there are none).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back