2.80 Ghz Problems???

NightHawk_450

OSNN Addict
It is really true that OS Dont like any clock speed above 2.80 Ghz??? I was reading in your news articles, and I found this to be very interesting....Does anyone have an opinion on this??? I think that it is a bunch of bull myself, but there may be some truth....Tell me and other what you think

I'm sure if there is a problem that Microsoft will post a "fix" for it sometime soon.

Me too, but that's mainly because I'm in college and generally have no money to spend in the first place:(

Yeah......What ever that it is......Things have a way of straighting thereselves out.....They always do......I am just intrigued about this whole thing

Good point, Catch. I shouldn't just assume that it is Microsoft's fault (although in my experience it usually has been thier fault). To be honest, it could be anything i.e. driver issue, OS, hardware, etc. Will be interesting to see how this one works out.

Isn't it always intels fault??? Someone needs to put them in there own hole....And I think I know who is going to do that....

whats the point in making 2.8 ghz cpu's
its not as if the home user is running CAD programs all day or constantly using all that power to play games or stuff. if ppl want to over clock then i dont see why they shouldent, but for companys like Intel to make 2.8 p4's and faster is just stupid.

2.8GHz

I've been running my 2.26Ghz P4 at 2.88 smooth as pie. I'm not sure what they're basing that on. Intel rocks!

:D

Originally posted by surge
its not as if the home user is running CAD programs all day or constantly using all that power to play games or stuff. if ppl want to over clock then i dont see why they shouldent, but for companys like Intel to make 2.8 p4's and faster is just stupid.
What was the point of going past 1 GHz? What was the point of going past the 640kb memory barrier? What was the point with ATA133 or Serial ATA instead of good old PIO mode?Ever though about the progress the computer industry has had for the last 20 years? OF COURSE there's a point in making faster computers! Games become more and more complicated. So does the OS:s and applications. One year from now you can look back at your post and realize how wrong you were. Your not the first one to say something like this and be wrong. No offence dude.

no ffence taken m8 , but does any home user realy need thta shiny new 3ghz cpu, i know os's and games will get more complex but what home user need a 2.8 p4? iam not wrong with what i have said and many other ppl will agree that a 2.8 is not needed in a home pc, at the end of the day the only thing the chip makers care about is the money they are makeing out of ppl that "just have to have the latest thing" i meen look @ nvidia and there Gf4 the cheaper one is no better than the Gf3 ti 500.

no ffence taken m8 , but does any home user realy need thta shiny new 3ghz cpu, i know os's and games will get more complex but what home user need a 2.8 p4? iam not wrong with what i have said and many other ppl will agree that a 2.8 is not needed in a home pc, at the end of the day the only thing the chip makers care about is the money they are makeing out of ppl that "just have to have the latest thing" i meen look @ nvidia and there Gf4 the cheaper one is no better than the Gf3 ti 500.

it depends on what the home user does.
if he/she likes to tinker with CAD or animation then heck yeah.
but if all they do is word processing and listening to music while playing solitare then all they really need is a 650 duron, or equivilent.
even in games processor speed doesnt make as large a difference as ram or a videocard does.
plus its all based off your motherboard, if your mobo sucks then your overall performance will decrease.

Originally posted by catch23
Well, I'm assuming based on the tests done (I'm also assuming they did tests...heh...it's Intel though)...They probably used mutliple processors with the same hardware setup...but the 2.8ghz model was the only one with problems....it's Intel's fault...and whoever made the assumption that it was an OS issue is really arrogant.

Good point, OS's are perfect.

Wow. An incredibly shortsighted comment!! I actually laughed out loud when I read that ... :D No offense intended, of course ;) - I mean everyone is entitled to their own opinion...

I don't run CAD programs of any kind, but I do enjoy gaming on my PC. With the level of performance demanded by upcoming titles, such as UT 2003, I think a lot of gamers are going to realize that faster is not just better, it is NECCESARY. Have you seen the GPU Scaling tests at Anandtech.com? Here's a link, in case you haven't. Based on the performance of UT 2003 using a GF4 4600, you can clearly see the effect of CPU scaling in relation to framerates. It seems that for the next generation of games, a CPU equal to or faster than the XP2100 will be neccesary in order to provide advanced GPU/VPU's with data at a fast enough speed.

In fact, another test which was just published this morning shows this to be true as well - in his review of the new Radeon 9700, Anand shows that even in current games like JK2, the CPU is the limiting factor - and he was using a 2.4GHz Pentium 4!! His comment: "...it's pretty sad when a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 can't feed these cards data quick enough to avoid it becoming the bottleneck."

As games and graphics cards continue to advance, it is neccesary for CPU's to keep pace - something which they are barely doing now. Is a 2.8GHz CPU absolutely neccesary right now? No - but when I build my new system next month, that's exactly what I'll be using - some of us do use our computers for more than email and surfing, and the last thing we want is a 2.4GHz CPU to slow us down ...

:)

mavis

Well said Mavis.

But I just got this 2.26 Northwood 3 weeks ago. Hopefully I wont have to upgrade when UT2K3 is finally released.

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Grinder714
Well said Mavis.

But I just got this 2.26 Northwood 3 weeks ago. Hopefully I wont have to upgrade when UT2K3 is finally released.

:rolleyes:

lol, I wouldn't worry too much man ... That's actually the same chip I'll be buying,except I'll be using an Asus P4T533-c, the Intel i850E (?) chipset, with RDRAM. Anyway, according the the CPU Database at overclockers.com, everybody has been able to get at least 2.55GHz with that exact chip, with most people in the 2.6-2.7 range - and that's with stock air cooling! :)

That's the best thing about that chip - its oc'ablility. According to your sig, you're using Corsair RAM, so you should be fine there too, if not, I'm sure that board has dividers for your RAM/PCI, etc. So just change the divider if neccessary, and crank that FSB!

Of course, you didn't hear that from me... :D

mavis

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back