$2.50 Per Watt P4 Cooling

You know what would be a great evolution, abit impractical, would be for CPU's to have a die with an incorportaed heatsink (or even a waterblock) all as one solid unit eliminating the need for thermal conductive pastes.

Maveric169 said:
You know what would be a great evolution, abit impractical, would be for CPU's to have a die with an incorportaed heatsink (or even a waterblock) all as one solid unit eliminating the need for thermal conductive pastes.

I think that existed back in the days when heat wasn't a great issue. i.e. the 486 processors. The heatsink on my old machine was stuck on to the cpu itself. (note that I didn't mention the fan coz there weren't a fan).

ming said:
I think that existed back in the days when heat wasn't a great issue. i.e. the 486 processors. The heatsink on my old machine was stuck on to the cpu itself. (note that I didn't mention the fan coz there weren't a fan).

Yea those were the good old days:)

Someone will always think of a better cooling method and removing the old one would be a pain...

People like passive cooling which means they would have to add a bigger heatsync to the current one which would be alot more thermal paste :)

EP, Well my idea was that the die and heatsink or waterblock would all be one solid unit, instead of 2. I know why they don't do that, but I think that would be the best way. Either that or change gears entirely and develop the optical CPU for the masses.

Well there was news a while back that someone developed an optical CPU or something to that extent. Wish we would see more innovation like that instead of recycled tweaked technology dating back to the 50's.

People love variety too much.
Persides, I was very impressed with the stock cooling solution for the Athlon64.
Not seen a retail pentium for quite some time now :)

Integral heatsink? Lets not get radical here. It costs them $10 to make a $500 CPU if they built in a $20 cooling solution their profit margin would drop by 60%.

Remember the SLOT A processor... Integral everything.

Yeah. AMD has been working on the speed variable system and it's in use on the AMD64s. We all know the P4's are miniature suns in our PCs. That's why they're called Pres-hots. I do recall an Intel Prescott Survival kit which included an oven mitt with it. (Obviously a joke)

ShepsCrook said:
Yeah. AMD has been working on the speed variable system and it's in use on the AMD64s. We all know the P4's are miniature suns in our PCs. That's why they're called Pres-hots. I do recall an Intel Prescott Survival kit which included an oven mitt with it. (Obviously a joke)

Am I the only one that finds this situation sorta funny on how the role got revesed between AMD and Intel.

It used to be that AMD's CPU's were the cookers and now it is the Intel. Ironic.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back