1GB Network

DwarfData

OSNN Addict
Hi Guys & Gals,

I have a 1GB Network. My server, workstations & switch are all rated at 1gb. The Link Speed on all machines are showing as 1Gbps but the network activity rarely goes over 7%.

Can anyone help me achieve the full speed potential of the network as I am quite often copying large files over the network.

Regards

DwarfData

No. The cables are Cat5. Do you think it could be somethink that simple, even though the links are all reporting a 1Gbs connection

You need to be using CAT-5e, It supports Gb lan. Im pretty sure CAT-5 doesn't.

I'll pick up some cables tomorrow.

I just thought it strange that everything is reporting a 1gb connection. I've just installed the latest drivers for the Intel Pro/1000 MT and run the Diagnostics on the link with the following results:

This adapter is running at maximum speed.
Connected at maximum speed of link partner
of 1000 Mbps Full Duplex.

There are alot of other factors that also slow up data transfer. Cable length, cable quality, network congestion, backplane bandwidth, etc....

If it is close and you want to transfer only between two Gb capable PC's try a crossover cable and compare the speed.

Both Cat 5e and 6 are recommended to support gigabit. A Cat 5 will result in data errors causing re-transmits that will slow throughput.

Don't forget that is gigaBIT so actual speed will be 1gig*0.72/8 bytes.

Just because the network can handle gigbyte doesn't mean the computers can. If you have a PCI adapter card for your lan it is choked by a 33mhz system clock speed. If you RAM or processor are too slow you won't get gigabyte either.

The whole idea for gigabyte is so multiple computers can run full out on one network without slowing each other down.

Exerpt:
IEEE 802.3ab Recent ‘gigabit over copper’ standards have been adopted that make gigabit Ethernet as easy to use as 100Mbps Ethernet. Gigabit ethernet can now utilize Cat5 or better twisted pair cabling and the same RJ-45 connectors that are used in 10/100Mbps networks. To achieve gigabit speeds, you must use ethernet cable with all 8 wires (four pairs) present. Many inexpensive cat5 Ethernet cables have only 4 wires and can not reach gigabit speeds.

So with Cat 5 4 wire you get 1gig*0.72/2/8= 45 MBytes/sec

But wouldn't a bad (i.e 2 pair or 4 pair CAT5 with losses) be autosensed as incapable of gigabit (at least the 2 pair)? That's what autosensing is for...

Zedric said:
But wouldn't a bad (i.e 2 pair or 4 pair CAT5 with losses) be autosensed as incapable of gigabit (at least the 2 pair)? That's what autosensing is for...

That's the bit that's confusing me. Anyway, I'll try & pick up a pair of cat6 cables tomorrow and let you know if it helped.

yeah.. that should be the problem... about how long a distance are you spanning the cables?

no autosensing (N-Way negotiation) is where he nic asks the switch how fastit can go and vice versa. Its not a cable test. They will attempt to push packets at 1gbps and retransmit any with errors until it gets through.

The distance of the cable from the server to the switch is approx 2m and the Workstation to the Switch is approx 4m

With the latest Intel Pro 1000 drivers there is a cable section under the Diagnostics pane. running this gives the following results:

No cable problems detected.

Test details

Cable Length : Range 0 Meters to 50 Meters
Polarity : Normal
MDIX Status : Straight-through (MDI)

yeah.. that shouldn't be the problem then.. 2 and 4 meters. thas nothing now if you were running it over 400 meters or something that would be different... did the new cat 6 cables help? i think that LeeJend is right about the 4-8 wire differences however that should only slow it down halfway huh?

Didn't get chance to pick them up. I'll keep you posted once I've got some.

Thanks for the help everyone.

How much was your switch?
Having said that, I must avoid temptation :eek:

Sorry, couldn't take the pay cut. On top of which, that place is generally heaving at the sales desk. And the guys in the warehouse don't get a minutes rest. Bless 'em :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back