16mb cache

FishBoy

Feeeesh
hey check it out 16mb cache hard drives i always go to that computer shop and i never saw them until i opened their website, maxtor 16mb cache 7200rpm disks, i didn't know that 16mb was out to the public, i thought they were still in like server places and stuff, might get the 200gb maxtor :D
http://www.canadacomputers.com/storage.html#hdd

they've been out for a while now. the last time i checked on HDs was back in december just before i postponed my upgrade. lol :p

yea those hard drives have been out for a while but i wonder if its a big difference

im planning on buying a new system soon but with all this 754 939 socket mobos and 64-bit chips out i dont know what to do maybe ill wait for the new intel chips to come down in price and but intel all over again

not sure :p

yea are these hard drive necessary or just stick with an 8mb cache?

i'll see about it next month if i have enough money to get one, i also wanna get the ati tv adapter (pci) like 70 dollars w/o the remote

they are pointless. i had one at work with a normal seagate 7200 rpm at 8mb, and a WD raptor and the 16MB drive sucked. it was horrable. and the trick is that if you have an AMD or even an Nvidia chipset you dont need anythiong over 8 because with windows it will take care of it if you system is fast enough and well with nvidia enhanced IDE and sata there is no need.

the 16Mb maxtors are just shy of WD raptors performance wise provided you dont raid them, soon as you raid them they get left behind by the raptors.

So yes you will benefit hugely from the 16mb cache drives. They are also better value for money than the WD raptors which are too small and too expensive.

so what's it gonna be :S im talking about maxtor now now WD 16mb cache drives so you're saying i should get the 16mb maxtor?

non raided we never saw any perforamce increase from the drive. it was a tad bit faster on smal files but when you move more than a GB it did nothing. and when it was a 10gb archive. it went to a crawl. if you want speed then i would sugest a raid of what ever drives with no more than 8mb on them and in the raid for speed do 128 chunk size,

but yes i know its a larger number. and mp3's may seem a bit faster but when we had them all in the same P4 boxex with a ghosted OS it was nothing special

no IDE hard drive will be fast with long large sustained data transfer, they simply aren't built for it. If thats the sort of work you are doing day in day out you seriously need to look at scsi.

The average desktop user such as myself and fishboy will see more performance and get a better deal interms of $$ per GB with the 16MB Maxtor than with a 36 or 80GB WD raptor.

My reccomendation is the larger sized Maxtor or if you are doing long large sustained trasnfers of data everyday or atleast regularly invest in scsi.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back