1394 Connection question

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi Guys,

Why do I have my Firewire connection on my network connections window, along with my ethernet connection? Does this mean that I can connect straight to other computers firewire connection? What can I do with this connection? It is built into my Nforce2 Chaintech Mobo. Sorry, but I am new to this mobo and firewire. Here is a screenshot:

Thanks in advance!

Heeter

Yes, you can connect two computers together using a firewire cable, and share files just like you would with a crossover cable.
Basically, you need to right click the 1394 icon in your Network settings, go to your TCP/IP properties, and assign a static IP and subnet mask. Then assign another IP in the same subnet, and the same subnet mask to the other computer.

You can then just use the UNC name to map drives and share files, like you would on a regular ethernet connection. Just type \\192.168.0.1\Shared_Files (or whatever you chose to assign as the IP address and shared folder name) into the address bar in Windows Explorer (or in Tools>Map Network Drive)

Wow, Okay.

Great, Netryder. Thanks for the info. I thought firewire was just for cameras and stuff.

Heeter

Firewire is very versitale. It can be used for camera, plug and play external devices (Optical and Hard Disks), PC to PC Networking, etc.

JJB

My Firewire PCI card is actually slotted backwards on my MOBO, just so it fits into the bottom designated slot. I wonder why it is so special that it just cannot occupy any PCI slot, like the one you buy.

Heeter

Originally posted by Heeter
My Firewire PCI card is actually slotted backwards on my MOBO, just so it fits into the bottom designated slot. I wonder why it is so special that it just cannot occupy any PCI slot, like the one you buy.

Heeter

There shouldn't be any reason for that. It's probably just the way your specific card is designed. I have a PCI 1394 card (the Dazzle DV Editor SE) in my desktop at home, and it sits in any PCI slot.

Don't forget that using firewire for your network connection allows you to transfer data at a rate of 400mbps.
that's at least 4 times faster than a normal ethernet connection. :D

Can Firewire be sold in Bulk??? With connectors seperate?

At 400mbps, I wouldn't mind transfer rates that fast at all!!

I think I would put it through my house and connect all my 'puters, instead of my Cat5. There is a lot of file transfer between my computers.

Heeter

I don't think so. They're just like USB Cables. And if they did, they would probably be complicated to crimp (like fiber) and must be made flawlessly to prevent errors at that data speed.

JJB

Oh well,

Thanks for killing those 400mbps dreams, JJ :)

Heeter

Besides, it wouldn't be very convenient for more than two computers, since there are no firewire-based routers, and you would need multiple cables running from each computer to connect it to all the others.

There's a few mobos from Gigabyte which has Dual LAN built-in. The second being the GigaLAN (1000mbps) hot!! hehe :p

I can't wait to upgrade my machine. The only thing is, there's no reason for me to upgrade just yet since everything works perfectly, and the speed of my current machine is more than enough for all the games I play.

Well if all you need is internet sharing even 100mbit is overkill. Cable and DSL modem's ethernet interfaces only run at 10mbit anyway. 100mbit helps a lot with large files for LAN file sharing though.

JJB

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back